PDA

View Full Version : What is GMs Procedure for IP/PMD warranty?

AndyL
12-01-2003, 12:45
What is the procedure GMs uses for deciding if they will replace an IP or PMD under warranty? The first dealer found copper chips pre filter and said that was on their check list and will not warranty it. I want to make sure I get all my bases covered when I take it to the next dealer. I had a LP die of course I will have chips but that is what the filter is for, it didn't cause the PMD to fail. They couldn't understand that logic.

Thanks

Andy

More Power
12-01-2003, 15:07
Check this link:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/DSwarranty.htm

MP

ucdavis
12-03-2003, 18:42
Copper chips B4 the filter is a wierd condition; I don't know of any copper wear surface to produce debris of this type.
Dealer is required to fill out a long checklist supposedly indicating tech has performed all checks that are detailed. It includes a fuel quality check in which they are looking for metal shavings; GM calls for tank removal & fuel system cleaning if this is found (& possibly charging customer for time/gaskets...). It also includes scantool readings from PCM (Inj closing time, TDC offset, Inj pulse width, fuel pressure, fuel rate (mm), & timing actual vs. desired). Then proceeds to glow plugs, cranking speed, air in fuel, lift pump operating, fuel leaks, compression, fuel return, coolant temp reading, injector nozzles, air intake & filter, EGR stuck open or missing gasket, timing too advanced, exhaust restriction, turbo seal, wastegate stuck, wire connections or shorts, correct software, TCC functioning, accessories, valvetrain, vehicle in correct weight limit, vehicle mods, grounds/volt drop @ PCM, crank sensor, optical filter, loss of volts to ESO, wiring harness short to pump well area, bent pin @ stepper, uncleared DTCs, sheared cam drive key (causes TDC offset to go +), crossed Inj lines, kinked fuel lines and a few more things. I am certain that all Mr. Goodwrenches do 100% of these checks & never skip a step or just fill out the form & replace the pump ;)
W/the form as "proof" of diagnostic completeness, the dealer can order a new FSD or IP & do the replacement under warranty. GM's labor allowance on this is 4.1 hours on a C/K truck w/AC plus 0.3-2.0 hours diagnostic time. PMD R&R only is 2.7hrs + up to .3hrs diagnostic.
They must find a failure of the system (stall or miss w/no other cause or DTC indicating IP) to take action under the warranty. Just a complaint of a stall w/out dealer seeing it takes a cooperative dealer to invoke the warranty. Can't blame 'em on that as many owners would have that complaint @ 119,999 miles automatically.

richard7
12-03-2003, 20:04
They are asked to do a diagnostic based on the SYMPTOM.
What are your symptoms? I can than tell you what they are asked to perform. They changed my PMD based on the P1216 DTC. I had what is called the "intermittent miss road speed". They had to check the wire connection or short, lift pump pressure, air in fuel, TCC functionning, and fuel quality. For fuel quality, they are supposed to check the API number, and fuel contamination.

The warranty states that "Damage from poor quality or incorrect grade diesel fuel, and gasoline or water contamination is not covered under the terms of the 6.5 diesel warranty".
I don't think the the shaving you refer before the fuel filter can be put in the poor quality fuel category... I suggest you clean that anyway (if you find any) before going anywhere else, to avoid this again...

AndyL
12-04-2003, 02:59
Thanks for the info. After the Stealerships bad attitude I said forget it and Ordered an FSD relocation kit from Bill Heath and everything seems to be running fine. Before the change it wouldn't run for more than 20 seconds (once it finally died), since no problems.

Scooby
12-04-2003, 05:55
Andy-, where did you mount your pmd cooler?? I just got one from Bill, and havent mounted it yet.

AndyL
12-04-2003, 05:57
Originally posted by Scooby:
Andy-, where did you mount your pmd cooler?? I***ut got one from Bill, and havent mounted it yet. Mounted it to the front plastic skid plate, lots of air flow, extended cable is plenty long enough.

Scooby
12-04-2003, 05:59
Wow- that was a fast reply !! I dont have a skid plate, as mine is 2 wd. I have heard others say they mounted behind bumper on drivers side. I havent looked there yet to see if there is room on mine.