PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip report - new LMM.

Runaway_Dmax
01-02-2008, 12:32
Things have settled down now and I had a chance to evaluate the performance of my new Silverado. I've made a few posts/comments while I was on the road with it.

Brought home 12/7/07, parked in garage.

Left for Laramie, WY on 12/27/07 with 97 miles on truck and loaded with the ATV in the bed. Trip was from Green Bay, WI area to Minneapolis, MN, to Des Moines, IA and then I-80 to Laramie. Left Laramie 12/29/07 and headed for Sundance, WY (got truck stuck in a snow drift trying to get back to the ranch). Stayed in Spearfish, SD that night. Started back for the Green Bay area in 12/30/07 - arrived New Years Eve after a brief visit with kids in Minneapolis area.

Truck is stock.
Total miles traveled : 2571.
Total fueled used: 150.21 gallons
Total Trip MPG: 17.1

Not bad I thought considering that I had not seen temps over 18 degrees F. Using winter blended fuel. Drove thru winds, snow, and while in Laramie I had temps in the sub zero range. Did use the remote start here and idled to warm up some.

Used no oil, no codes, no plugged filters, I did have the winter cover on that I cut the bottom portion off. I'm not sure, but I think I had one regeneration at 2300 miles. Could smell something hot and based on comments here on the board I looked at the avg mpg and it was dropping fast and about 20 miles up the road it was climbing again. I may of had a regeneration at about 1200 miles, I was in the pan handle of Nebraska fighting wind, blowing snow, ice, etc and mileage dropped a little. I contributed this mileage drop to the weather conditions I was in. No rattles other than when cold (too be expected), once cab is warm they go away!

Likes: what's not to like - excellent ride quality, even with tires at the recommended levels. I thought I would not like the seats in this truck compared to the "03" but that thought quickly disappeared after a few hundred miles.

Dislikes: miss my cubby holes I had in the "03."

Overall I am satisfied with trucks performance and mileage should/will get better with use, towing, and warmer temps

More Power
01-02-2008, 13:58
Great report! What was your average cruising speed while on the Interstate?

Thanks,

Jim

Runaway_Dmax
01-02-2008, 14:42
WI I stayed @ 70 on the 4-lanes. MN, IA I stayed at 70ish. and NE, WY, and SD I was @ 75. I was leading a convoy of new students starting @ WyoTech and they didn't need anymore expense (speeding tickets) than they already had. Basically whatever the states speed limit was, I stayed at it. GPS said my avg speed for the trip was 68 mph if I remember right.

2tough2park
01-14-2008, 16:27
Nice write up. I was actually expecting better mileage, but you did get stuck. I'll assume you have four wheel drive. Now you can get stuck deeper! hahaha
Am wondering how your longterm fuel savings/expenses will be with all the regens.