PDA

View Full Version : Initial Start Up Smoke ????

7SEC1000
01-02-2008, 10:34
Initial Start Up Smoke When 95 Dually 6.5 Turbo Sits Overnight It Smokes When Cranked ( Blue/gray Color ) But Doesnt Do It The Rest Of The Day And If Its Cold Like In The 30s It Takes Longer To Clear Up New To Diesels So Sorry For All The Questions ..and Thanks For Any Helpfull Replys

Hubert
01-02-2008, 10:51
Normal Diesel operation.

Cold air and engine dissipates the heat from compression and combustion is cooler hence the smoke on first crank in morning.

Also a long time sitting high pressue may leak off of IP and injector lines. Once its cranked and ran for a few moments next starts are usually easier.

Weather, fuel quality, health of glow plugs, injectors, timing chain, IP, and compression (ring seal) influence how long it takes to clear smoke.

How much smoke is expected is a little hard to quantify really depends on above factors. Its more important that it starts quickly and runs smooth then clears.

7SEC1000
01-02-2008, 15:07
yep it starts quickly runs a lil off for about 5 seconds then runs clear and then clears smoke in about 30 seconds

damork
01-04-2008, 21:06
In the 250k+ miles I had on my Yukon, the most significant impact to reducing smoke was the installation of the DSG timing gears and a complete set of AC60G glow plugs with a new controller. I had a working injection pump and fairly good injectors, but the gears and good working glow plugs all but eliminated the white smoke and this was with unplugged startups down to 0F. I always had Stanadyne Performance blue in the tank as well. It would start in cold weather prior to these changes but chugged and blew white smoke for a short time right after startup.