PDA

View Full Version : No Start, glow or fuel

1bad383
12-29-2007, 18:20
Have been trying to start my new engine off and on for a while. Got a little more serious and shot some wires and scratched my head a bit. Noticed that my glow plug light would not light..... New relay, wires check good. Can short the two power studs and light comes on. On edit; the PCM sends 9 volts to the glow plug controller, but it needs 12v to 'turn it on' Why only 9v?

So after much cranking, no fuel to the injectors. Checked the fuel shut off sol, inop. Went to the PCM and applied ground to E-16 (blue-wt) and bang the sol clicked. That tells me the wiring is good, but why does it not come on with the key???? Is there a connection between the fuel sol and glow plug light? Does the crank sensor come to play anywhere in this?
There is fuel in the tank and the lines are routed correctly and the filter is bled. Im out of ideas to get this thing running, HELP!!!

More Power
12-31-2007, 10:39
How are the fuses?

For whatever reason, the 1994 PCM won't fire the glow plugs after the batteries have been disconnected - for the next starting cycle. On a cold engine, people need to either power the glow plugs manually (like how you checked for the wait to start light) or plug in the engine block heater for a few hours to warm it up.

Jim

1bad383
12-31-2007, 12:33
Fuses are good, even replaced them for luck. I was thinking, if the fuel shutoff sol can be operated with the key on, grounding at the PCM, a possible engine grounding issue??? Is there somewhere listing all of the required/recomended grounds? I've seen it somewhere before, but cannot recall where.

More Power
12-31-2007, 13:43
From my 1998 service manual, it appears pins D6 (blk/wht) & D7 (tan/wht) are the PCM grounds. Probing each of these connector pins should provide continuity (0 ohms) to a good vehicle ground.

Since this is a new engine installation, I suspect something remains disconnected.

Jim

a5150nut
12-31-2007, 17:12
Did you reconnect all the grounds on the rear of the passenger side head?

Robyn
12-31-2007, 19:47
I have seen the no/short glow on thge 94/95 trucks after the batteries have been unhooked. Hook them up and do a key on key off and watch the GO light, it may short cycle a couple times. Let the thing sit for a bit them and usually the GP system will then work fine.
I had this happen on the 94 Burb and the DaHooooley, Anoying but no big deal.
I think that once the power is off the thing loses track of things until power has been back on a bit and it gets the feed from the ECT sensor.

Good luck

1bad383
01-02-2008, 08:42
Thanks guys and gals for the help. I did manage to lite it off yesterday, barely. Tons of smoke and no throttle pedal now!?!?!?! Turns out if the PCM has no ground nothing happens!! Had it out and hanging from the harness from a chip swap, and never put it back just in case the chip didn't do its thing.
Will go back and vertify all grounds and try to time the darn thing. Where is a good starting point for the pump? (Had the old cover marked, but it went with the old motor)

Thanks everybody for the help!

a5150nut
01-02-2008, 22:38
Will go back and vertify all grounds and try to time the darn thing. Where is a good starting point for the pump? (Had the old cover marked, but it went with the old motor)

Thanks everybody for the help!

Your welcome. Try with the fuel solenoid straight up/vertical.

1bad383
01-22-2008, 18:15
Guys and gal, thanks for all of your help in getting my dualster going. I have been taking my time, but I am in no hurry to pay $3.34 per when the Jetta does just fine on regular... The glow plugs were a matter of resetting the pcm a few times, and adding a few grounds probaly helped a bit too. Then there was this little matter of the heater O ring leaking...... Then one of the lines on the pump. Now it off to get it timed, should be fun. Now it is off to my newest upgarde, an intake! Have welder will travel!

1bad383
01-22-2008, 18:42
One more question, the more I read on here about the Key on / off thing. Is this something that needs to be done in leu of timing it on a scanner or both??? Thanks!!!