PDA

View Full Version : Codes P1214 and P0216, new engine

CedarGrove
12-29-2007, 13:26
I might could gleen the info I need by searching the forums, but I've read a whole bunch of stuff in there and I'm still a bit confused. Hopefully I can lay it out clearly for you guys and you can tell me which direction to go. I'm thinking I just need to nudge the pump one way or another, but here goes...

I have a 98 K3500 F code. Recently replaced the engine. Got a long block and transferred my stuff over. New Delphi marine injectors, new glow plugs, did a 4" exhaust while I was there, added boost and egt guages.

Finished the install and fired the truck up. Ran great. I did the ko ko routine (possibly botched it), everything still good. Drove for 2 days, about 200 miles total without worry. Did a short trip down the road. About a mile from the house it started to stumble. By the time I got to my destination (another mile), it just about would not run. That's where I am now.

My mechanic and I tinkered a bit. Changed the fuel filter, eliminated the OPS/fuel pump from the list of possibles, changed the crank sensor, swapped out a known good FSD.

We are working with a SnapOn MT2500 scanner. Codes are 01214 and 0216. Warmed it up to 170, cleared codes, tried the ko ko routine. When I fire it up, it stumbles stumbles and throws a code straight away. If I start it and keep the rpm above 1500, I get no codes and it seems to run fair. As I understand it, the compter will only try to learn TDC if rpm is less than 1500. As soon as I drop the revs below 1500, I take a trip to code city. It throws 1214 first (as soon as I dip below 1500), then 0216 shortly thereafter.

With it running below 1500 rpm, the reader tells me desired timing is 12.9 and actual is 4.7. Above 1500, reader tells me desired is 12.9 and actual is 12.9. I have TDC values of 0, 1, and 2 depending on I don't know what. Offset shows -2.46.

It infrequently throws codes 0251, 0263 and 1216.

While the pump was off during the swap, I had it bench tested at a Stanadyne shop that I trust and they gave it a thumbs up. No biodiesel or other wacky fuel. Filled up the tank after 1 day of driving bliss and it ran fine for 100 miles the next day so I think the fuel is okiedokie.

My theory, as stated before, is that I need to nudge the DS4 one way or the other. Now...Which way and how much?

I'm open to other possibilities.

Lay it on me.

Lewis

CedarGrove
12-30-2007, 10:30
Paging gmctd, paging gmctd. Please report to this thread at your earliest convenience.

Cheers,

Lewis

DA BIG ONE
12-31-2007, 04:49
Not the expert herein but it looks like your timing is way advanced, bump it back and make sure IP bolts are not too loose that pump dances while it is running.

The only time your desired/actual timing should be above spec is if you are running timing gears in place of chain because they have a 2deg advance built into them and max timing offset for your year would be -1.90 and not beyond this.

Good luck!

Warren96
01-02-2008, 10:10
The timing probably is a little too advanced, but I doubt that little bit will cause running issues. I would like to cast my vote, for air in the supply line from the tank. Is there anywhere on the truck that is damp with fuel ? Can you smell fuel when you walk up to it ? You would need to turn the pump counterclockwise as you look at it in the truck, just a ''C'' hair

CedarGrove
01-03-2008, 16:03
I like the fuel leak theory as well and I'm going to check that out when the weather warms up. So far I have not been able to see or smell any leaks. If it's sucking air, I may not see a leak. I intend to put about 5 psi on the tank and let it sit for a while, then examine closely.

Cheers,

Lewis

Warren96
01-14-2008, 08:01
Thats what I did on my tank and I had fuel leaking everywhere. Did you add a tire valve to an old gas cap? That way you can add just a scosh of pressure to the tank, maybe 2 or 3 pounds. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

CedarGrove
02-04-2008, 18:33
Turns out the optical sensor went south, thus mucking up the whole timing thing. A Stanadyne shop confirmed my diagnosis, replaced the sensor, set the timing, and things have been going good for 1000 miles or so now. I really like this truck, but dang what a pain in the ass when all of this electronic hubabaloo freaks out. I'm hoping she'll run steady for a few years now that everything seems to have settled in on this Navistar block.

gmctd
02-05-2008, 08:05
Apologies for the no-reply Lewis - I've been busy with the recently acquired Jeep and the CRD stuff, plus learning the gecko 545RFE 5sp auto trans and it's Godzilla cousin, the new 68RFE 6sp auto trans behind the 6.7 Dodge CRD, so I don't read thru the posts like BCRD - Before CRD.

Good fix on the OS, but if any further symptoms, just follow my instructions in the 'nuther TDCO thread, first duct-taping your thumb to your hand to keep it off the Command button, so only monitoring the operations is possible, then post the results back here, addressed to my handle (gmctd) so the post will stick out like a sore thumb.

Also noting, only the latest Snapon MT2500 will correctly interpret TDCO numbers - the early versions appear to add Base Timing numbers to TDCO numbers