PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/ questions

boreguard
12-28-2007, 07:59
I've not owned a Chevrolet diesel, but have a few power strokes over the years. Anyway I'm looking at a 95 Chev 2500, w/ a 6.5 DL Automatic and 4x4
Could any of you who'd be willing to comment tell me/alert me to anything like is there any chronic problems with these trucks, watch this or that. Look for this and ask about that.
Man I'd appreciate any help. Be glad to answer any Termite problems you might have :)
Thanks
Dennis Neal
Been burning gas too long !

Cowracer
12-28-2007, 09:48
I've not owned a Chevrolet diesel, but have a few power strokes over the years. Anyway I'm looking at a 95 Chev 2500, w/ a 6.5 DL Automatic and 4x4
Could any of you who'd be willing to comment tell me/alert me to anything like is there any chronic problems with these trucks, watch this or that. Look for this and ask about that.
Man I'd appreciate any help. Be glad to answer any Termite problems you might have :)
Thanks
Dennis Neal
Been burning gas too long !

dennis,

Welcome to the forum. On a 95, theres a few things to keep an eye on, but most are easily dealt with. A 95 will probably need injectors, if they have not been replaced in the last 80k miles or so.

The Fuel Solenoid Driver is problematic, and can cause dying and other drivability issues. The general consesus is that heat is killing these units, and many people have relocated them to other areas, away from the engine with great results. You can either make your own heat sink (as I did) or purchase one from a reputable vendor (Kennedy, SS Diesel, HeathDiesel).

A chip, big exhaust and new injectors will really wake a 6.5 up, but you should have a pyro and boost gauges installed before this, as you can really damage the engine if you get unwound on the EGT's (exhaust gas temps).

Dont expect to make the power that a modded Stroke, cummins or dmax can make. These engines are a generation behind them (kinda like having a flathead when OHV engines came out). You can make respectable power, and be able to tow anything up to (and a bit over) the GVWR just about as fast as you want to go, just dont think you have a slayer for the drag strip.

what advantages do you have? A simple, easy to work on truck, with cheap parts (price a stroke injector lately?) and most of the bugs worked out of it means a lot to a lot of people.

I like to say that I can do 90% of what a new DMAX can do for 20% of the money.

Tim

Robyn
12-28-2007, 10:26
Ditto's

I have a 95 and to the letter, what racer is saying is about the long and the short of it.
My 95 will scare the hell out of the earlier Powerstrokes.
Not going to bother a Dmax much but as was said, For a lot less $$$ invested.

Best

Robyn

bsldallas
12-28-2007, 10:51
My 95 has 142k on the clock, I have put alot less $$$ in it then my p-stroke and it's a 99 w/83k. I can't get the wife out of the 95. About time to relocate PMD. but other than that it is grrreat.....

Kenneth
12-30-2007, 23:10
My 94 my grandfather bought new from the dealer in 93. The truck currently has 155k on it and has had no more than $1,500 invested in parts other than normal wear and tear (brakes, tires, etc.). My brother had it for a little while and had no breakdowns other than a FSD/PMD failure. I replaced the injectors and glow plugs and made some other repairs here and there. For the most part, I can do all the repairs myself relatively easy without spending a ton of money on parts. I currently am averaging 18.5 mpg city/hwy.

About the only things you need to watch out for is the FSD/PMD, lift pump, and oil pressure switch. So far all three of these have failed on my truck and other than a vaccuum pump failing (I then swtiched to a turbomaster wastegate), I have had no other problems.

For a truck that cost $21,000 brand new in 93, and with about $1,500 in parts over the last 14 years, it was a great investment.