PDA

View Full Version : 4wheel Drive Noise

KBBEAS
12-22-2007, 20:54
IVE GOT A 02 2500HD CREW DURAMAX WITH 86000 ON IT. SO FAR NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT BUT THE OTHER DAY WHEN I WAS IN 4LO EVERYTIME I PUT THE TRUCK INTO PARK IT SOUNDED LIKE YOU PUT AN OLD SCHOOL TRUCK IN PARK WHILE DRIVING. A LOT OF CLICKING SOUNDS? DOES ANYONE KNOW WHATS CAUSING THAT?:confused:

WhiteTruck
12-22-2007, 22:09
Come to a complete stop before you put it in park. Any movement of the vehicle is exaggerated in the trans by the reduction gears in the transfer case. This means the output shaft of the trans is turning much faster than you realize even if moving slightly. Until this shaft stops turning, the pawl can't engage.

DmaxMaverick
12-22-2007, 22:18
Drivetrain windup loading is the cause. When in low, it will place a significant amount of torque on the drivetrain, even while idling in gear. When you put it in P, it releases that load like a rubber band, and the park pawl passes a few slots. To prevent this, come to a complete stop and place the shift lever in N momentarily before going to P. N will release the load without the park pawl trying to engage, then it will go into P normally.

KBBEAS
12-23-2007, 22:20
Thanks For The Help. I Know For A Fact I Came To A Coplete Stop Because I Tried It Several Times, But Ill Try Puting It In Neutral Before I Shift To Park. I Just Like Putting Around On The Farm In Low Lock, It Seems So Much Easier On Any Truck.