PDA

View Full Version : Two questions.. NSBU switch failure.. 4x4 noise at ....

KrazyNate
12-20-2007, 09:27
Hey all.. Having a couple issues with my 02 Chevy Duramax.. My NSBU switch has failed again in just under 15000 miles.. It was the new tan switch bought directly from Allison.. Yesterday I lost my indicator lights, and only had P R and 3.. I got under my rig and dug some rocks and debris from behind the switch, which only worked until I drove it and put it park again.. Is there anything I can do to keep my next NSBU from failing??
Now my 4x4 noise.. When in 4x4 high and driving with engine rpm between 1800 and 2200, I get a horrible noise/vibration that goes away outside that rpm range.. Especially noticeable in tow/haul mode... :confused: Its done it since I bought it.. 2nd owner, had 72,000 when I bought it.. Now has 94,000... Thinkin about gettin something else.... Been pretty disappointed with this pick up :(

More Power
12-20-2007, 15:08
dug some rocks and debris from behind the switch

If you off-road your truck, drive in deep water, or drive in other extreme conditions, you may need to do more to protect the switch. A metal deflector perhaps... GM moved the switch to inside the cab in the newer models, possibly cuz they figured out that wasn't an ideal location... However, my 2001 is still running the original black switch...

Make sure the ATF/lube in the transfer case and front differential are at their correct level. Check for loose U-joints.

Jim

KrazyNate
12-20-2007, 15:38
I dont really off road much, just enough to get to parking areas for going dirt biking.. Lots of rural roads where I live though.. Also, 3-4 months of wet/slushy roads in the winter... This is the updated switch which Im surprised it failed already.. Such as life... Found it cheap though (thanks to this forum) directly from Allison for 100 bones cheaper than dealer... After monkeying with it today, my truck wouldnt start.. The shift indicator has been failing intermittently but is working now, however I dont think it is working properly as now my truck wont start..Got me to work and stranded my a$$ :( Read on here a few guys have removed the switch, brought it inside to dry out and replaced with good luck.. Hoping this will work before installing the new one tomorrow...
And yes, my lubes are all correct level.. Recently serviced..

EDIT: After bringing my switch inside to dry a couple hours, Ive installed with no problems so far.. Havent driven yet, but shift indicator is working and it started right up... ?? Who knows.. Further more, just had it scanned and there are zero codes..

KrazyNate
12-21-2007, 08:48
Well.. It worked for about 10 miles and quit again.. Going to install a new switch, from Allison 57.50, and see if it works better.. :rolleyes:

Mark Rinker
12-22-2007, 16:14
Read my other post in its entirety. My new switch solved the problem for a short while, now the indicator is erratic again. Shifting is still normal...wondering for how long.

There is another variable to this. I am thinking about pulling the connectors and using liberal amounts of dielctric grease in the connectors, which keeps moisture out. We use lots of it on the control plugs for the snowplows, it is amazing stuff in connections covered in ice, sand and snow and soaked with salty snow melt.

Wondering if I needed a new switch at all...won't know until I can get at it tomorrow.

KrazyNate
01-04-2008, 12:50
Installed new NSBU switch.. 91 bucks from Allison.. Working great.. However, a buddy ran a scan tool to check for codes while my old switch was still installed and not functioning.. NO CODES... New switch added.. NO CODES... ??? Ive also been told that the computer needs to be reset after an NSBU install.. Ive not had this done and dont seem to be having problems...

Who knows...??

BTW, 02 Chevy Dmax LT Crew Cab for sale.. Fully loaded....:D

DmaxMaverick
01-04-2008, 14:00
The NSBU has no logic involved, so NO need to reset anything in the 'puter (don't know what you'd reset, anyway). The NSBU will not cause DTC's, in most cases with common failures. The symptom is usually poor (or non) gear engagement and/or flaky range indicator in the dash. As long as the replacement is correctly installed, you should have no need to do anything else.

40grit
01-04-2008, 20:38
regarding the vibration and noise in 4wd, I had a 2001 2500Hd lifted 6 inches, had the vibration you speak of when in 4WD, had the front driveshaft rebalanced, fixed it mostly, still a little( say 10%), but not nearly as bad, driveshaft shop said it was due to design of replacement shaft after lifting the truck...

KrazyNate
01-07-2008, 12:18
regarding the vibration and noise in 4wd, I had a 2001 2500Hd lifted 6 inches, had the vibration you speak of when in 4WD, had the front driveshaft rebalanced, fixed it mostly, still a little( say 10%), but not nearly as bad, driveshaft shop said it was due to design of replacement shaft after lifting the truck...

My pickup is all stock.. U joints 'seem' to be ok ?? No slop.. I do notice a tiny bit of up/down side/side play where the front drive line enters the front diff.. ??