PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I tighten the PS belt?

Terrapin
12-15-2007, 21:00
I spent over two hours under the hood and it just would not get tight. I got the AC pump out of the way, loosened the bolts, wedged the PS pump with every lever I could find, then tightened it back down. I could lever the belt tight, but by the time I got the bolts tight the belt was loose again.

The squeeling is killing me. I may not be Mr. Goodwrench, but tightening a belt has always been a no-brainer. It's really humiliating to be bested by a rubber loop.

BTW, it's an "83 Blazer with a 6.2. 130,000 on the clock. Belts are in good shape.

This site rules.

john8662
12-16-2007, 00:28
We feel your frustration!!!

Actually, you'll find another method of tightening that belt, but it involves being underneath the truck, as GM intended it.

Loosen the A/C belt, loosen all the P/S pump bolts.

Then get a 1/2" 2-3" drive extension and insert it into the square hole located on the bottom side of the bracket that secures the pump, on the backside (engine block side). It's there, you'll have to dig. Insert the extension into the key-hole. Then get your 1/2" drive ratchet inserted onto the extension that is now in the bracket. At this point, grab yourself the 15mm socket/wrench combination that you'll use to tighten the lower P/S mounting bolt. Get it ready. Get the belt tight, then with your other hand, tighten the bolt from underneath. Or, get a helper to tighten one up above while you hold tension on the belt.

As a note, I also take a deep well socket and insert it on the end of the big ratchet you're pulling on to get the belt tight and insert a longer extenion into that socket. This is a "cheater pipe" of sorts and lets you get more leverage on tightening up that belt.

Message back with a non-squeeling belt! :)

doncannon
12-20-2007, 06:46
Hello All,

yes it can be frustrating to say the least and this is what I learned. I loosen all 4 bolts get a pry bar (crow bar) and put it down between pump and water pump. I then tighten the bolt on the right that has adjustment (not a pivot) then tighten all the others with the one you get from underneath last.

hope this helps,
Don

Subzilla
12-20-2007, 13:45
WARNING! Do not pry on the pump housing itself! It seems to cause a slight leakage forcing you to purchase a new pump.

I use an adjustable wrench on the bracket from the top of the engine compartment. Slip the wrench right on the bracket at the side of the fender side of the pump and pry if the other ways described here don't work for you. Wish I had a picture here with me.

arveetek
12-21-2007, 10:14
WARNING! Do not pry on the pump housing itself! It seems to cause a slight leakage forcing you to purchase a new pump.

I use an adjustable wrench on the bracket from the top of the engine compartment. Slip the wrench right on the bracket at the side of the fender side of the pump and pry if the other ways described here don't work for you. Wish I had a picture here with me.

That's what I do too! Works pretty well, and you can do it from the top. Allows you to push down on the bracket.

Casey