PDA

View Full Version : Dies after starting????

442john
12-15-2007, 19:32
I have a 1989 6.2 Suburban and it has become a problem getting her to run. When it is cool outside, it will start them die like it runs out of fuel???? All glow plugs are good and I believe they are staying on, but maybe a little less when cool outside. I used to hear a ticking noise (I think it's in the 6.2, but may have been in my 7.3 Ford), I don't hear it anymore. I was thinking that the Glow plug timer might be bad, but I don't want to spend $$ on it if it's not the cause. What do you'll think?

allformike
12-15-2007, 20:13
i would say if you are woried about your glow plugs staying on, i would put a manual glow controler on. i did it with a 73 pinto starter relay and a push button. also check your fuel filter

john8662
12-16-2007, 00:14
Is your glow plug light coming on prior to cranking?

If so, it's at least working to that point. When it's cold outside the glow plug controller with "Afterglow" and turn on the plugs momentarily after it's started, for several cycles.

If it's dying right after a crank, it's possible that you have a few bad plugs or air in the fuel system, or the cold advance connection to the side of the injection pump is loose or disconnected. It will be a green colored wire on the left hand side of the pump (with you standing in front of the truck). You should also have a fast idle solenoid on the injection pump.

When bolt cold, you can test for voltage at this green wire, I do mean bone cold. Turn on the key, test for voltage, if none, then the cold advance switch in the cylinder head has failed.

This may be more information than you need currently, but things to consider.

J

442john
12-16-2007, 11:39
Thanks, I'll give sugestions a try.

442john
12-20-2007, 22:21
Changed fuel filter and wife said started great this morning. I'll let you'll know if anything changes. Thanks and God Bless:o