PDA

View Full Version : looking for power 6.2td

doncannon
12-10-2007, 08:35
Hello All,

I have just aquired a used 6.2 and was told it has low mileage. I am pulled the bearing caps (rods and mains) they show minial where (just a little rub on the front side) which brings me to my question. with the heads off is there anyway I can tell how many miles (guy say about 50,000) to see if I need rings before I put this in my truck? can I clean the heads up (port them some for improved flow)? Is there anything else I should do or check?

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
thank you in advance,
Don Cannon

More Power
12-10-2007, 21:41
Check for any cracks in the cyl heads, then use Fel-Pro head gaskets and new Fel-Pro Torque to Yield head bolts during re-assembly.

New gaskets and seals. Use silicone alone on the valve covers and oil pan.

Check the damper for any deterioration.

Jim

doncannon
12-11-2007, 06:35
Hello All,

thank you for the response I will do that. Do these engines respond to port matching and pocket porting at all? Is there anything that is a good idea to add like the stud girdle since I have it out? does cleaning up a 6.5td intake help (just smoothing out the inside and the casting)? will smoothin out the intake work or is it better to open it up a little? what about the heads? what can i use just to clean up the little bit of carbon on the tops of the pistons? anything I can use to clean out the motor (pistons, crank, cam all still in there)?

thank you all again,
Don

Peter J. Bierman
12-13-2007, 13:45
Cleaningup or porting will help a little but only if you put in more fuel too to go with the extra bit of air you get in.
Don't expect much of it, but all the bits help.

Peter