PDA

View Full Version : Bought rearview mirror with outside temp.....

Petrella
01-20-2006, 21:49
and was wondering if anybody could help me out with what wire does what?? :( there are 7 wires that go to this mirror and i cant figure out what wire does what. i purchased the sensor and harness from the dealer, now i need some help hookin it up. if anyone knows yur help will be gladly appreciated.

Anthony
-------------------------------------------

1994 K2500 4x4 Suburban
6.5 Turbo Diesel
Pyro,Tranny,Oil,Diff temp Gauges, Boost Gauge
FSD Cooler from my GM dealer
Sweet sounding JK Exhaust
Heath Chip
Boost Controller
Crystal Projection headlights, Turn signals and reflectors.
Euro Tail Lights
Cowl Induction Hood
2" Lift
305/70R/16 BF Goodrich All Terrains
11.5" FF 3.73 Posi with Rear Disc brakes
American Eagle 16x10 chrome wheels, style 145
Alpine Stereo,DVD,Navigation System,rear monitors
Viper alarm, and remote starter
Indigo Blue Metallic
Pics of my truck - http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=anthony1982&x

ace58
01-21-2006, 05:15
Nice Sub. I have its cousin in Chevy trim. The blue is as nice as black, in my opinion.

I can't help with the wiring of the rear view mirror but am interested in how you converted to rear disc brakes.

Dvldog 8793
01-21-2006, 06:16
Howdy
Just did the same thing with my mirror and am still trying to figure the wires out. Posted once but it got highjacked, maybe this will bring something to light. I'll also post if I figure it out....
L8r
Conley

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
01-21-2006, 19:45
This is what it looks like in my Helm's manual
What I call a term may be a pin number in a connector at the mirror. Connectors S### are elsewhere in the vehicle.

Term 1 Mirror Switch, Wire#39 Pink, Hot in Run and Start at connector S213

Term 2, Wire#150 Black, appears to be ground at a connector S316

Term 3, Wire#24 Light Green, "Reset to daytime high reflectivity", looks like it connects to backup light circuit and/or park/neutral switch at connector S160.

Term 4 C1 (Luxury)Mirror Feed, Wire#1690, Gray
Term 5 C1 (Luxury)Mirror Return, Wire#1691, Pink, these two appear to go to the outside mirrors for dimming if you have that option.

Term 6 G Wire#735, Grn/Blk
Term 7 F Wire#718, Brown, these two are for the temp sensor

There appears to be another pin labeled #2 C2 (Luxury Only), Wire#1784, Yel/Blk, goes to Headlamp Control Module Cell 101

Follow this at your own risk. If I get a chance to scan this to PDF I could email it to you.

Petrella
01-21-2006, 22:21
thanks mike, thats a great help!! now i just have to figure out which of these wires i have to hook up and which could be left unhooked, :confused: , ace, i bought a new axle out of a duramax for my disc brake conversion.

[ 01-22-2006, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Petrella ]

Dvldog 8793
01-22-2006, 14:30
Howdy
THANKS For the info!!! :D
L8r
Conley

Petrella
01-22-2006, 20:48
mike, would you know if terminal 1 starts on the left or right of the mirror when you are looking at it from the back?

Anthony

HowieE
01-23-2006, 06:39
Take a closer look at the plug. I have found that all GM connectors are numbered at the pin locations, small but numbered.

What did you pay for the mirror? I was quoted $500.00 for the Stealer in Jersey and ended up with a \Isspro guage.

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
01-23-2006, 15:26
Looking at the end of the plug, (on the harness, not the mirror) with the snap clip on top, pin 1 should be on the right. Connector 1 (C1) has seven pins. Connector 2 (C2)has only two. C2 Pin 1 is Orange Wire#40 Fuse Output-Battery, Pin 2 is the Yel/Blk wire#1784, Twilight Sentinel Enable Signal.

Again, follow this at your own risk. I highly recommend purchasing the Helms manuals. If you can't afford all four, at least purchase volume 4 where this information is found. This info isn't all on one page. I have to jump around the book to find this.

Petrella
01-24-2006, 14:26
Howie, i was quoted the same as you, but then i looked at car-part.com and bought one for 50 bux, off a 99 half ton. mike thanks again for your help

V1500
01-24-2006, 18:35
Totally off topic... I love the look of your Suburban! :cool: :cool: :cool:
What brand is your 2" lift and where did you get it?
I need a little lift on my Suburban to fit new wheels.

Petrella
01-24-2006, 20:01
swedeburb: it was easy to lift the truck, i bought a couple of 2 inch steel blocks that go under the leaf springs and new u bolts. for the front i just cranked up the torsion bars 3 turns, and never had no allignment problems

Petrella
01-25-2006, 08:58
ok im having a big problem here, i cant get my mirror o display the temperature. when i power it up it showes the little c and f in the corner but will not display the temperature. it only shows the compass. i hooked it up as mike posted, and got no luck. i have 2 buttons on my mirror, one is comp and the other is mirror. when you push comp the compass turns off, press it again the compass turns on thats it, when the mirror button is pressed, it dims. the compass moves as i turn the mirror, and i hooked the 7th pin to the temp sensor, and grounded the other wire, but no luck. does this mirror actually have a temp readout even though it flashes deg F and deg C when its powered up? im just wondering if the place i bought it from lied to me. if any one has the temp mirror, can they tell me what buttons to press to display temp? thank you

Dvldog 8793
01-25-2006, 11:48
Howdy
My mirror has two buttons one is TEMP other is COMP. My old mirror (no temp function) was just like the one that you have. One button for COMP other for MIRROR. But it did not have anything in the display other than the direction. My new mirror has the direction and a OC (open circuit) because I have not installed the sender for the Temp function.
L8r
Conley

Petrella
01-25-2006, 16:02
see i knew i got the wrong one!!, where did you get your mirror and how much did you pay for it? any part number or what vehicle you got it off conley???
thanx anthony

Dvldog 8793
01-25-2006, 17:05
My neighboor is a salvage yard. :D So I just put in an order for one, after a couple months a 2003 chev truck came in and I got the mirror and sensor for $50+my mirror. the company that makes them is www.gentex.com (http://www.gentex.com) I haven't had any luck with emailing them, but I haven't tried phone yet. New these mirrors cost about 250-300. If yours has the degree F or C in the display then I would think it is a temp mirror but Gentex should be able to tell you for sure.
L8r

Petrella
01-25-2006, 17:27
thanx a million for your help, i just looked at the website and seen that i definately do not have the mirror with the temp reading. looks like i will be returning the mirror i got, and buying the right one this time!!

Petrella
01-28-2006, 14:18
ok got the right mirror with the comp temp buttons, it shows the temp and compass at the same time, this one has the 16 pin connector that plugs into it. i got the wiring diagram for it but, put they label them for example, pin 1 blank, pin 6 and 7 temp probe, pin 13 ignition. but the problem is i dont know which number is assigned to each pin in the harness, i dont want to screw this mirrior up, cause it is brand new out of a 2005 gmc

BBCB
02-01-2006, 20:46
I want more information from above regarding the "luxury" dimming outside mirrors...

Anyone have info on them? may have to start trolling the salvage yards for something else!

nigeljones
02-04-2006, 15:56
For a Comp/Temp mirror with a 7 pin J.S.T connector which was available in the earlier vehicles
pin 1 = Ignition
pin 2 = Ground
pin 3,4,5 are Open (no need to use)
pin 6 = temp
pin 7 = temp

Looking at the back of the connector with the snap lock on top number 1 is on your left and should be marked so.

Compass draws power from the E/C unit(Electrochromatic)

If you need the pin out for the 16 pin I can look it up on Monday if interested.

For the chap who has OC in his mirror that in deed is open circuit so check your sensor and especially the terminal pins in the back of the connector. Make sure you locate the sensor in front of the rad.

Hope this helps

nigeljones
02-04-2006, 15:59
Luxury Mirrors means E/C both driver and passenger side I believe they went into production during the 1998/1999 model year. The open circuts powers this feature.

Petrella
02-05-2006, 12:22
i appreciate your help nigel, i have the 16 pin mirror, and i have a buddy of mine at the dealer let me take a peak at the wiring diagram, and everything works great now!!