PDA

View Full Version : Noises when cold

discovery
12-05-2007, 13:58
Hi all, newby to the forum so please be gentle with me....

Just bought a 1995 Land Rover Discovery that has been fitted with a 6.2 GMC V8 diesel, mated to a four speed auto.

Bought it from Portugal in southern Europe and drove it back to my home in Yorkshire, England. All in all about 1800miles...

It was said by the previous owner that it had just had a lot of work done on the engine, it has a reciept for a new cylinder head (the old one had cracked when it over heated) it had new piston rings, apparently the bores were perfect and just needed honing. It had three new injectors and the rest were overhauled. It had a new radiator made that is much bigger than the old one and an electric fan was installed, controlled by a switch that was tapped into the back of the inlet manifold. It has a 3 inch Stainless steel exhaust with one box

The car ran beautifully all the way back at about 70mph approx 2000rpm. It was cold (about 7-9c) and the heater never got really hot just sort of luke warm... If you touched the rocker covers when you stopped they were barely warm

I have had a look over it now its home and found it had no thermostat so I managed to find one that fitted and it now gets hotter quicker and seems to run a bit hotter.

Now, when it is cold and for an awfull long time, maybe 20mins it rattles like hell, I know very little about diesels, if it was a petrol I would say it is suffering from pre-ignition. It is worse under light throttle take offs, flat out starts are much better, there is very little to no smoke at the exhaust. The engine has used less than a quart of oil since I got it (about 2000 miles) When fully warm the noise has just about gone and is very difficult to hear above the normal engine noise.

I have been to a few garages around here and they are all a bit set in their ways and don't want to even look at it...

So do they all sound like this or is something up, is it the pump timing?

Any help or advice would be great and if you can help please presume I know nothing and give me the idiots guide....

Apart from that it is great, the standard diesel in the Land Rover is pants, this has the power of the petrol V8 and the ecomomy of a diesel, returned high 20s on the run home....

Thanks for reading

Pete

EWC
12-05-2007, 15:00
Sounds like the cold advance is working . 2 green wires on the injection pump , 1 runs to the cold advance and the other to the fast idle sol on the throttle cable bracket . With it running , pull the green wires off . Should have a lower idle and less knock .

discovery
12-05-2007, 15:27
Thanks for that,

Unfortunatly mine hasn't got the two green wires, found a picture on another thread and can see the power wire but the spade terminal for the two green ones is empty, there are no wires hanging around so I can only presume it hasn't been used.

Does this mean the pump timing need adjusting, I can see the marks at the top of the pump where it mounts, the two lines are about 1/8 inch apart, the one on the pump is to the right of the one on the engine when viewed from the front.... Can I just try moving the pump and see what happens?? will I damage the engine by trying???

Thanks

Pete

discovery
12-06-2007, 09:37
Hi, Just found out how to post pics on here so thought I would give it a go...

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/30112007035.jpg

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Untitled-3.jpg

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Untitled-2.jpg

Anyway about the noises.... had a good read of every post about timing etc anf then thought what the heck I'll have a go, so I retarded the pump timing a bit and the noise got really quiet, so I retarded it a bit more and the noise disappeared but the acceleration was lumpy, as if it was missing!!??. Anyway advanced it a smidge and now you can barely hear any rattle, the engine pulls well and there is no smoke, so I will keep the 15mm spanner in the truck for a while and fine tune it....

Pete