PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 ABS light

JoshZT
11-29-2007, 06:53
My ABS light is constantly on (does not flash, etc). Just pulled codes and got 12 six times, which from what I understand means there are no error codes. What other reason could explain the ABS light?

JTodd
11-29-2007, 07:39
My light has been on for the last year or more. There are a couple reasons that could be the cause. a sensor in the front wheel or might be bad or a frayed wire from the sensor. In my case, I am fairly certain this is not the case. I have heard that there may be a problem with a sensor in the transmission, so the sensors are not synching.

Robyn
11-29-2007, 08:23
Using the standard technique of a paper clip in the terminals to pull the codes may not bring up ABS codes.
I believe you need a scan tool to do that.

Check the fuse to the ABS unit and make sure you dont have a blown fuse.
There are several issues that can trip the light, wheels sensors are just one of the issues.
Check all the connectors to the ABS unit too.

Does the rig drive ok and the brakes work correctly.
If the regular operation of the brakes is not affected then its got to be an electronics issue with the unit.

Just one wheel sensor thats hinky will set the thing off.

These can fail due to salt corrosion (If you live in salt country)
A broken wire or a bad connection can all make for issues.

Good luck

Robyn

JoshZT
11-29-2007, 13:18
Brakes work perfect, if I slam on the brakes I dont lock up but from other vehicles I have driven with ABS you can feel a slight vibration in the peddle when the ABS actuator fires. It isnt a problem really, more like an annoyance that I would like to get rid of.

bl78ljb
11-29-2007, 19:20
Here is the diagram that you need to follow to get the ABS codes, when getting the codes the brake light will blink. When I did this in my T-10 Blazer I found the solenoid bad so I just disconnected the computer and no brake light, and I don't have to worry about the awful rear wheel ABS anymore anyway (the only time I might need them is snow / ice when they are deactivated because I have it in 4WD).
GM ABS Code Retrieval

http://autorepair.about.com/library/images/bl315a-lib.htm