PDA

View Full Version : new exhaust system

bleucrew6.2
11-28-2007, 04:41
Hi Everyone.
The old boy started sounding a little odd lately... like an exhaust leak somewhere. I found the leak (hole) on passenger side pipe, ahead of muffler. Crawling around under there, it doesn't look like there's much life left in the whole exhaust system and I'm looking at replacing it.
I have an LMC catalogue that has replacement dual exhaust systems, but no listing for diesel, or crewcab. Should I be looking for a system that is 6.2 specific, or maybe one that fits a big block gasser? Not sure what the interchangeability of these things are. Does anyone have a reasonably priced source to suggest?
You know I'm a happy boy to be looking at doing this job at this time of year! Got nothing but pavement to work on...no garage.

John

john8662
11-28-2007, 08:46
Find a good local exhaust shop and have them build you an exhaust system. Many shops are pretty good in that they can even get the exhaust to look like the factory did. I like it when they actually do the correct "Hog Nose" cut on the pipe as it exits, instead of just a straight cut off.

It's a little hard to use the gas version exhaust because most of those versions used single exhaust with a crossover from manifold to manifold so that they could use a cat, or other stuff. Not a true dual system.

I'd also have them upsize you to 2.5" pipe and install an "H" pipe in between your exhaust pipes at some point.

For the record, I don't wish doing exhaust work on anyone, especially lying on your back in the cold on concrete.

J

bleucrew6.2
11-28-2007, 09:41
Thanks for the reply.
This truck, for whatever reason, does have true dual exhaust. It isn't the origional system, judging on the square cut tips, and the way one of the pipes seems to have been installed slightly rotated.. so that one pipe tip looks correct and the other looks a little droopy when viewed from the back of the truck. Maybe the Air Force installed it when they had it?
The kit that LMC sells is a 2 1/4 true dual kit with no catalytic converters. It does not have a crossover pipe, but neither does my current set up. I want to know if there is some difference in the bends and lengths of the pipes where they attach to the manifolds comparing a gas system to a diesel. These systems aren't for crew cabs, so I know that I'll need to add a section of straight pipe under the cab to make it work. I can get one of these dual set ups, with clamps and hangers and 'turbo' mufflers for about $225. Any more thoughts?

John