PDA

View Full Version : rear end question

gophergunner
11-27-2007, 09:21
ok, so i have a 2006 gmc sierra 2500 with the duramax/alison combo.

i have a lead on an entire axle from a 1998 gmc 1 ton, which has a detroit locker in it.

my question is, will this detroit locker fit into the rear end of my 2006? or will it need the carrier from the 1998 axle as well? or are these 2 axles not even close enough to the same thing internally?

both trucks here are single rear wheels if that matters here....

thanks in advance

DmaxMaverick
11-27-2007, 15:29
Won't be close. The 2001+ 2500HD and 3500 have the AAM 11.5" diff. Previous models have the Corporate 10.5". Different size, different mfg. You could probably sell the parts you have (if you have them) for near the cost of the parts you want. The 10.5" Detroit locker is a hot item, in the right circle. Depending on the type of driving you intend, the Eaton Gov-Loc OEM in the D/A's is much more civil, and nearly as durable (I assume, as I haven't heard of one braking off the track with sinful HP, but same goes for Detroits), as the Detroit. They do the same thing, only in opposite engagement. The Detroit is locked, and unlocks to allow differential wheel speed. The Gov-Loc is open, until it needs to lock. Neither require additive.

gophergunner
11-27-2007, 15:35
well i guess that killed that dream of mine. but thanks for the info.

a friend of mine, who has a transmission shop, thought that they were the same 10.5" diff up til around 2006, but he wasn't sure.

i have other uses for the detroit locker, i was just hoping to use it for my new truck first.

once again, thanks for clearing that up for me

JohnC
11-29-2007, 15:36
A high percentage of the 2006 models came with the Eaton locker stock. Look in the glove box for "G80" in the RPO list. As Dmax said, it's subtile. You might not even notice it's there 'till it's gone...

mark45678
12-02-2007, 08:01
A high percentage of the 2006 models came with the Eaton locker stock. Look in the glove box for "G80" in the RPO list. As Dmax said, it's subtile. You might not even notice it's there 'till it's gone...

I dont think I have EVER seen a 2001 and newer duramax truck build sheet that didnt have G80 locking rearend code . i would have to agree with John C if your truck doesnt have it you in that less then 5% group

gophergunner
12-04-2007, 12:21
i thought the new trucks had a locker similar to the old gov-lok that was used in the 10.5" 14-bolt differentials........which doesn't last very long because of the way it works it will eventually break itself.

when i put the detroit locker into my off-road beater, there were pieces of the gov-lock in the bottom of the diff housing when i took the cover off.

so i figure as long as i could get a cheap locker thats more dependable than that gov-lok then i might as well.

i know my truck came with a locker from factory, i just hope its not going to break down and quit working after a few years......