PDA

View Full Version : removing the air conditioning

grumpyman
11-26-2007, 16:33
hi all
i want to get rid of my non working a/c in order to clean up under the hood on my 82 gmc 1500 p/u. i'm pretty sure that there's no freon in the system having pressed the valve and getting nothing out.

first a question ...what is the smaller radiator in front of the main radiator??
the connection from the a/c to this is cracked at the radiator
can this radiator go away??

does the fluid routing for the heater core go through the a/c assembly?
because what looks like the heater core send and return come out of the passenger side firewall to the left of the a/c controller? but don't connect to the radiator

the chilton guide i've got only shows a non a/c unit on the passenger side firewall . can i reconnect the original heater hoses back up and just ignore
the non working a/c unit and remove and disconnect all the other a/c hoses and fittings

i'll try to get photos if needed

DmaxMaverick
11-26-2007, 17:00
If you want to completely remove all the A/C components under the hood, you'd be much better off acquiring a non-A/C HVAC system for your truck model. Just removing components will leave you with some difficult duct work to do, and a defroster that probably won't be worth much.

The "radiator" in front of the engine coolant radiator is the A/C condenser. It can go away. It is between the compressor and orifice (tube just before the evaporator). The aluminum canister attached to the lines between the firewall and compressor is the accumulator/dryer. It can go away. You do not need to (and I don't recommend) remove the evaporator completely (that little core the A/C lines go to in the ducting). Remove it and "gut" inside the perimeter "box", then replace it. This will leave the core in place to seal the ductwork, but won't impede airflow or collect debris. The heater lines/hoses can be left as is (or as they're supposed to be, if they're not now).

Here's another thing to consider....
Replacing your current HVAC system with one from a CUCV or "work truck" (no A/C and basic trim level) has an added bonus. No need for vacuum, like your current system. The vent/defrost controls are push/pull, not vacuum controlled like higher trim levels or A/C equipped trucks. So, unless you need vacuum for EGR, you can do away with the vacuum pump. The only thing left needing vacuum is cruise control, if you have it. You can use a small electric pump with reservoir to replace the expensive and sometimes problematic mechanical vacuum pump. If you have no cruise, or want to do away with it as well, you no longer have any need for the engine driven pump.

HH
11-26-2007, 18:24
I'd be interested in your AC brackets if you remove your AC system. PM me here.

grumpyman
11-26-2007, 21:12
thanks for the replies
i'll see if i can get a non a/c hvac system at a pick n pull
simpler is better for me
is it normal for the heater lines to run through the a/c and for the regular hoses to just head towards the radiator and stop
if you've the chilton full size truck 80-87 the hoses are in chapter 6-8 fig 19

was the non a/c hvac system the same for gas and diesel engines???
that'll make parts easier to find

bigbossman26
11-28-2007, 08:44
Does the vacuum pump not operate the transmission (modulator valve) as well, say the T-400. Not the 700R4 as it is electronically controlled right? It's been a while since I've been under my rig but me thinks is correct. Also interesting to note: Uncle bought "new" truck 85 Silverado and mine is 85 Silverado, he has the O/D trans and mine is not. A major difference in mileage from mine to his. I'm not quite sure why mine never came with O/D but that is the only noticable difference between them. Also the wiring to the IP on his is different I assume to control the transmission. Love the site!!! Has always helped my out whenever I have questions, Never use the Chilton book anymore, just log in and presto!! Answers almost immediately. Sometimes ask, other times do a little searching of the forums and I am back on the road in no time.

DmaxMaverick
11-28-2007, 09:23
The 1982 1500 came with the TH700R4 (not electronic, but mechanical/hydraulic controlled, unlike its later electronic twin, the 4L60E)) or manual. No vacuum requirement. If you have a 2500+, it will have the TH400, so there is a need for vacuum unless its a manual. Still, the vacuum requirement for the tranny is minimum, and an electric pump/reservoir would be a practical and feasible option to the engine driven pump. I've considered dumping the engine driven vacuum pump even on the higher trim level trucks. According to my research and calculations, it should work. I never liked the pump, and its accompanying baggage.

grumpyman
11-28-2007, 14:17
now off to pick n pull for a non a/c system
does the heater core get it's hot fluid from the top passenger side of the motor and send used fluid back to the top passenger side of the radiator
all i've got now is a 1 inch line from the motor to that spot of the radiator
i'm guessing that was done to bypass the defunct heater core

also i opened the air cleaner and there is no egr valve on top of the intake so i'm guessing i need no vacuum for anything on the motor or tranny

DmaxMaverick
11-28-2007, 14:34
The hose at the radiator is the return. There are a couple places the heater supply came from, so wherever the other end of your hose is, is the supply. 1982 was supplied by a nipple in the coolant crossover. If you have that, then supply it from there. There is also a return at the water pump on some pump models. I don't think the early models used this, even though a new(er) water pump (replaced the original) may have the port (plugged).