PDA

View Full Version : Manual Glow Plug Help

allformike
11-25-2007, 21:59
I Read A Few Threads About Manual Glow Plugs, I Basikly Understand How You Guys Did It, But I Don't Want To Try It Without A Diagram, So Can You Guys Help Me Out With One. Thanks Again

DmaxMaverick
11-25-2007, 22:52
Do you want a fully manual GP system, or a "manual after auto" system?

Either is easy. For a manual only, you will need a relay. The Ford starter relay works well. Connect the GP leads to the large pole (on the new Ford relay you installed to your fender or other grounded location) opposite the battery pole (you'll need to supply a batt+ supply with a large gage wire to this pole). Install a momentary switch (with batt+ power) to energize the relay, and you are done. If you want to have the "Glow Plug" lamp to light up, pull the wire from the OEM controller and connect it to the same pole as the GPs are connected (don't remember which, but it will be the one that will light the lamp on the instrument panel).

For a manual after auto, install a momentary switch with batt+ to the small pole on the OEM controller.

I could complicate it more than that, but it really is that simple. No rocket science.

If you need a diagram, there's one in my "Truck Stuff Pics" link in my sig. It's for 1985, but the controller and wiring is the same for all years, 85 to about 93.

allformike
11-25-2007, 23:13
i want a manual only, the diagram won't load on my computer. but what wires are for the glow plugs, and what wires do i run to the push button.

from what i am getting from this,(correct me if i'm wrong,) you hook a +12v wire to one side of the ford relay and the other to the gp wires, and run the gp wire from the ford relay to the push button, and ground the other side, right:confused:

sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure i have this down pat before i do this. thanks again

DmaxMaverick
11-25-2007, 23:52
The Ford relay has 3 poles. One is for batt+ (a cable connected directly to the batt+ terminal, or other 12V+ source), one is the "switched" power, where you will connect the GP wires (wires that go directly to each GP), and an exciter (energizes the solenoid) wire, which you will apply 12V+ to complete the circuit from the batt+ pole to the GP pole, via your momentary switch. The momentary switch can be a push button or toggle (spring loaded to off recommended), which will supply 12V+ to the S terminal on the relay (exciter pole). The ground for the relay is through the mounting bracket on the relay, so make sure you mount it to a grounded chassis part, like the fender or firewall, or run a ground wire to it. Of the poles, the 2 large ones are for the batt+ and GP wires (doesn't matter which you use, they're the same either way). The small pole is for the wire from your momentary batt+ switch. Also, once you locate the Glow Plug lamp (instrument panel, don't remember which wire it is), connect it to the same pole as the glow plug wires and the lamp will light when there is power to the GP's.

allformike
11-26-2007, 10:44
thanks so much, i will do it soon and tell you how it turned out. i am so glad i found this site. thanks again:)

allformike
11-27-2007, 08:25
what make and model ford relay should i use, or should it not matter, i was thinking of an 70's f series.

DmaxMaverick
11-27-2007, 08:49
1973 Pinto, 1980 F250, etc, it doesn't matter. Smaller is better, as even the smallest will carry the load with ease. There are only about 3 or 4 "sizes" to choose from, so go with the cheapest of the series (not necessarily the cheapest brand). It doesn't have to be a "Ford" relay either. Other vehicle brands, or even winch or plow relays will work. It has a simple function, so keep the choice simple as well.

allformike
12-02-2007, 13:09
I Put The Relay In And The Push Button, And It Works Great. The Truck Started This Morning And It Was Pretty Cold, Evan Without It Plugged In Last Night. Thanks Again