PDA

View Full Version : Muffler ?

allformike
11-22-2007, 21:05
I Need To Change My Muffler On My 89 K2500, 6.2

What Kind Of Muffler Should I Go With, I Have 3'' Exhaust. I Was Kinda Leaning Towards A Dynomax Bullet, For The Open Design, But Not Shure What It Will Sound Like. I Also Heard That Flowmaster Sounds Kinda Weak On Diesels, My Other Option. Just Wondering What You Guys Have. Thanks Again.

allformike
11-23-2007, 17:33
i also heard from a mechanic friend of mine that said that it's ok to go with no muffler, but i'm not shure since i have no converter:confused::confused:

Robyn
11-24-2007, 08:46
IIRC most all 6.2 trucks have duals??

Unless its been changed to single??

I would go with one of the major players in the game.
Banks offers a muffler that sounds great.\
I have had one of their systems on a 6.2.
You might look at what they ofer.

Just a thought

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
11-24-2007, 09:01
A N/A 6.2/6.5 is VERY loud without a muffler. Too loud, and not legal anywhere. TD's aren't as bad, the turbo is a muffler, of sorts.

Robyn
11-24-2007, 14:02
Not only are they loud, they sound nasty without a muffler.

The TD's bellowing though a big pipe (4") without a muffler sound pretty nice but again, loud.

A nice (BIG) freeflow muffler will make the thing civilized as well as legal.

Robyn

GregCrabb
12-02-2007, 01:33
Mine came with "cherry bombs" on it when I got it...I hate them. Eventually I'll change them out too $$$

85-m1028
12-02-2007, 11:41
does converting it to a single help quiet it down too?

sapper33
12-05-2007, 12:31
While we're on exhausts:

what is the optimum size of exhaust for a N/A 6.2 (in a 91 if it matters)? I know on my past Toyota gasers, anything over 2 1/4 you started loosing power due to loss of back pressure.

I've got a totally stock truck, and I'm think I'm developing a hole in my muffler. So I figure if I'm replacing the muffler, might as well go with an exhaust that sounds better and frees up some more power. Keep in mind I don't plan on running a Cat, just the muffler.

allformike
12-06-2007, 11:42
i'm by no means a diesel pro, infact far from one. i would say on a diesel you would probably want at least 2 1/2'' or 3''

ccatlett1984
12-06-2007, 22:23
diesels require no backpressure at all, for a NA engine dual 2.5"-3" pipes would be good. dont get the turbo mufflers like they have at the auto parts store, the drone will drive you mad.

A 6.2NA with open pipes sounds alot like a bracket car, and not in a good way. Its deafening.

A 6.2 with a turbo on it requires no muffler, and 3"-3.5" downpipe into 4" single exhaust back is the way to go.

doncannon
12-10-2007, 11:07
Hello All,

I had a y-pipe that was going bad and yes it was loud so diesels can be loud. I now have a turbo without a muffler out the back as suggested by a member on this forum (sory old age cant remember to whom to give credit) and it sounds good and gets a little loud if you stand on it (I dont ever do that ... ya right it sounds so good). I had a friend that had glasspacks and duals on his diesel that sounded good and he said it wasnt that loud (just bear in mind that he ran his out the back). Just remember the less restriction the better it breathes. I guess the question is how much noise can you live with?

hope this helps!!

Don

allformike
12-10-2007, 21:55
the only other question i have is that i have a couple flowmasters of a truck i had that were on it for a month or so, but do you guys think that they will get all carboned up or whatever builds up in the mufflers, or will they be fine

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2007, 23:27
the only other question i have is that i have a couple flowmasters of a truck i had that were on it for a month or so, but do you guys think that they will get all carboned up or whatever builds up in the mufflers, or will they be fine

Flowmaster chambered mufflers will be OK (most late Flowmasters are chambered). They actually sound pretty good on a Diesel, turbo or not. If they are baffled, it would depend on the muffler application.