PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Cluster Intermittent

CaptnPea
11-19-2007, 10:43
Ok I have a strange sometimes (all ways fun to figure out) electrical problem.
Also posted on Diesel Place

My speedo will suddenly go to zero, and some other lights will come on, check gauges, and the wait, a faint high beam indicator (off when high beams on) and the left turn indicator... sometimes this effects the display on the radio (off), I'm thinking ground fault, reverse current type issue.

So I start "tapping the dash" (with closed fist) and it all comes back to life real shortly. In my investigations I found the "spot" right under the wheel just in front of where the vent that comes out. I push up hard there, need to use my knee or support, and bingo... everything works just fine, let go it goes off.

Sweet, I know where to look for a bad connection worn wire something amiss.

So I remove the lower panel cover see a good hunk of harness there and everything is on, so wife and I go do a test drive with it, sure enough hit the right bump and it all goes flat again, so I start fidgeting with the now exposed harness and can't get a peep out of it. Drive a bit later and all comes on again, hit the right bump all off, all my pushing pulling now seems to have no effect. Bouncing the column off the bottom of the tilt gives some limited on times.

So what would you do next? I could just go for a cluster, not worried about the odometer any more past 10 yrs old, and I'll keep a log for the next owner 5+ yrs down the road?

Or is this more likely in the steering column somehow?

What do you think?

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Captn

1996 6.5 TD Burban - Stock

JohnC
11-20-2007, 13:58
Isn't the ignition switch right there?

;)

Kick Ass Matt
12-03-2007, 17:30
The exact same thing happened w/my 94 sub. I was a little more dramatic in trying to diagnose it by actually sucker punch the dash as I am driving down the road. Sometime it works and there are other times people driving next to me just think I am practicing my wife beating moves.

Heres what you do. Take the dash unit out and re-tin the mylar PCB (printed circuit board). Careful NOT to join circuits, just re-tin them. If memory serves me right there should be 16 on the top and 16 on the bottom.

Robyn
12-03-2007, 21:17
The dash bezel is easy to get loose. (unsnaps)
Once this is off then remove 4 screws and the cluster comes out in one chunk.
There is a pocket down in there that has the plug in it (male part)
and the cluster has the mylar withn the copper fingers that go into the pocket.

Flex the mylar out and away from the cluster a little to give it more spring.
Clean all the copper contact tabs on both the plug and the mylar.
Now on the back of the cluster there are little push in lock tabs that hold the mylar to the cluster. These little creatures press down over little pins in the cluster and also have prongs that contact the traces on the mylar.
Carefully reseat these, each and every one.
Once you have cleaned all the tabs and such reinstall tha dash cluster and I'll bet your issue will be gone.

The contacts get dirty and then things get real hinky.
My 95 was doing this. About 20 minutes of cleaning and such and POOOOOOOOOOOF all fixed

Give it a try and let us know

Robyn