PDA

View Full Version : Help! On the road with a suspension problem...

jpgreen
11-17-2007, 08:43
My wife and I are on the road in my Chevy 95 K2500 6.5 extracab, and with weight in the truck- just a little extra weight, I get the exhaust rubbing/grinding on the frame.

It's s new to me truck with BD 4" exhaust. When we decelerate down hill, and turn to the left it grinds or hits the frame. It's gotten a little worse since we left and will grind on any decelerated incline at the slightest. Soon as you accelerate, it stops.

If I get out of the truck it stops. OK- not the lightest dood in the world, but I would think a 3/4 ton would carry my 230lbs my wife 125, dog 75, toolbag and suitcases.

When I'm in the truck myself- unloaded it's fine.

Who ever installed the exhaust had to bang it in to fit in between the truck bed and cross member, and yet it still sits and contacts the frame there. Then they hose clamped it to the long bar (torsion bar?) that runs from the front back.

My question is could this be the torsion adjustment on the passenger side?

I was thinking motor mounts, but they show no sag, and look like they could have been replaced not to long ago but who knows.

Holy cow- I've got to pickup and engine and other stuff, and I don't exactly no where to go, or what type of shop would be best suited to get us straightened out.

Any info would be appreciated greatly. Figured a few diesel pagers have experienced this problem.

Pat-

jpgreen
11-17-2007, 10:48
Got out there and peeked around some more (motel 6 parkinglot .... :)), and found the torsion bar ajusting bolts.

I measure the height and the driver's side was even a 1/2" lower than the passenger. Thought it would be the other way around, but put a jack under the frame and tightend the bolt 2 turns. Measured the pass side, and it picked it up 3/4".

I'm thinking maybe a weak torsion bar on that side, but we'll see how she does. 193k on the truck. Hope that at least temporarily handles the problem.

I'll check in at the next stop.