PDA

View Full Version : I really need some help... Ats tubro and engine rebuild

Darren5531
11-15-2007, 20:28
I am in the process of making a deal on a 6.2 that needs new head gaskets with around 80k miles on it. Comes with a bunch of parts that would be needed to swap from a gas to a diesel along with a blown ats turbo kit. I have been searching for hours and I am not sure on what would be the best options for me to do right now. I can get everything delivered to my house for $350.

I have a 1985 k10 step side with a 700r4 3.08 gearing in the axles and a rebuilt 350 in it right now. I want a 6.2 so I can actually get good enough mileage so I can reasonably drive the truck.

1. The seller said the seals and bearings in the turbo went out so it sucked in/burnt oil, both the intake and exhaust fins are broken and there is play in the shaft. Is this repairable or what other turbo will work in the set up? Looking for very quick spool up with reasonable boost. Probably won't see very much driving past 2200 rpm if any.

2. What would be the best reasonable rebuild that I could do on the engine for little money? It already has rebuilt injectors and newer glow plugs with 1000ish miles maybe less. Looking for the best mpg with still have the truck be able to move and not be a dog.

3. Is it worth it? These are the things I am planning on buying minus the package deal from the seller:

Injector pump
Alternator
Engine bearings
Rear main seal
Felpro? head gaskets
Turbo rebuild kit or used gm turbo

john8662
11-16-2007, 07:51
The Turbo used on the ATS kits is pretty common, it's a form of the T04B, the early ATS setups (that the turbo sat over the valve cover) used a T4 T04B.

Most turbo shops should be able to fix you up.

The turbo will likely need both a new compressor housing and a new compressor wheel. Perhaps the shaft and turbine wheel are fine.

A normal rebuild and balance of a turbo will cost approximatly $350 plus extra parts required to repair the turbo.

I've had good service out of majesticturbo.com

The engine once back in good running condition won't be a dog at all with the turbo, even with 3.08 gears. If you're just going to drive it, it will be great. Pulling with 3.08 gears is done with mixed results.

For $350 for the whole engine and turbo kit is a great deal. Snag it.

As for repairs on the engine, redo the head gaskets and rear and front main seal and carefully examine and or replaced the harmonic balancer up front. That should get you going well.

You'll likely find the bearings in good condition down below, but take one or two apart and read the bearings.

John