PDA

View Full Version : New fuel filter assembly question.

1984potato
11-15-2007, 09:45
Greeting fellow members,

Just want to make sure I don't do anything really stupid when I start this thing back up. Searched for repriming but didn't see a thread that gave me all the answers I needed or made me confortable enough to just walk ouside and start up the truck.

Replaced my Standyne Model 80 Fuel Filter assembly (leaking in the back, not willing to spend .09 on a new o-ring but willing to buy an updated filtration system:confused:) with a Standyne FM100 with a manual priming pump on top. I have replaced the rubber lines from hard line near the bottom of the engine block to the lift pump, the rubber line into the filter from the lift pump, and the rubber line from the filter to the IP. I used the manual pump on the filter assembly (very slick idea and NOT ELECTRICAL) to get as much air out of the new lines as possible. My worry is that when I crank on this thing (pink wire unplugged) to prime the system, I will push what little air that is in the lines into my IP and lock the whole thing up.

Any advice you can give a diesel novice would be greatly appreciated. In case anyone is wondering, diesel fuel does not taste good nor does it help clean my glasses while I am laying on my back in a gravel driveway at midnight. The tip of using Listerine to cut down the smell worked like a charm. This site is a wonderful addiction, thank you for any help.

Haus.

DmaxMaverick
11-15-2007, 10:17
If you've primed the filter, there won't be much air left in the supply line to the IP. It will purge quickly once the engine is running. However, I do suggest bleeding it for the first time after replacing the line(s). Just loosen the line at the IP and pump your primer until the fuel gets there. You can also unplug the FSS (pink wire at the pump), and do a couple short crank cycles with the line loosened. Hook up the wire and start as normal. It should start (if it would have under normal conditions), but may surge, stall and smoke for a couple attempts. Just be careful to not overheat the starter.

1984potato
11-15-2007, 11:08
DmaxMaverick,

Thank you again from pulling me from the edge of the abyss.

I will go home tonight, try it, and post my results.

The starter is another issue. It is a gear reduction type without any bracket (going to order asap) to speak of. Had I not read the wealth of information in this site, I would have never known it needed one. I do have a problem with the large gauge wire staying attached to the starter. Not the one from the battery but the one attached to the starter and the solenoid? It looks like it was held in place by a copper rivet or crimp of some sort.

More than likely I will have to take the bellhousing cover off (more stuff I know nothing about) and drop the starter out to see if I can engineer a fix because I can't modify the connection in place. For now, I climb under the truck, put the wire back on, pray/cuss, and hope it stays on until I get it started. Not exactly the best of situations but hey, you make due with what you have until you are in a position to change it.

Haus

HammerWerf
11-15-2007, 12:59
Another trick to try is as follows. reattach/leave alone the pink wirk on the injector pump. Turn the ignition switch to "ON", and go no further. With your priming pump, pump fuel into the Injection pump. By opening the fuel shutoff valve (pink wire), you will be able to purge out more of the air trapped in your injector pump through the leak off line on the top. Now all that's left is the air in the distribution lines. Loosen a couple of injector nuts, crank carefully till you see fuel weaping from the nut area, tighten up, and prepare to start it up.

Used this trick on my 83CC when I had the pump rebuilt.

HammerWerf

1984potato
11-19-2007, 08:42
HammerWerf & DmaxMaverick,

You are both right on target for the lines, IP, and new filtration system. I plugged everything back up/in, turned the key, gave it a good manual pump, and wham-started right up. Ruined a good pair of "Sunday-go-to-church" pants when I walked past my exhaust (black soot/oil) but I was so happy to have her running that I didn't care. Saturday morning temperature was mid 30's, Sunday about the same. One crank less than 10 seconds was music to my ears on both days.

On to the next problem, the starter is currently being held together with a paperclip. McGyver would be proud of this temporary fix.

Thanks go out to both of you for the guidance and the DP forum. It's amazing what I'll tackle when people who know what they are doing let me in on "how-to" secrets.

Haus.