PDA

View Full Version : Finally replaced the Glow Plugs

BigMikeO
11-30-2003, 18:37
Well, I finally replaced all 7 glow plugs. Yes 7 because I refused to take off the exhaust to replace that last one. I installed the Kennedy Fast Heat plugs. I started it for the first time today with the new plugs when it was about 40 degrees. Well it started up right away with no difficulties but I have a couple of questions or concerns.

1. Once the glow plug light turned on the voltage dropped to about 6 volts but managed to start the truck. I have 2 650 cca batteries that are marked as being from May of 2001. Is this drop in voltage normal or should I look into getting stronger batteries.

2. Once the truck started the Glow Plug light came back on for about 2-3 seconds. Is this normal or did I put a short in the system somewhere when I was replacing the Glow Plug wires?

Thanks for any assistance.

turbovair
11-30-2003, 19:02
The voltage pull-down is normal with the amps the plugs are pulling during the heating cycle. As long as the engine cranks over OK, your batteries are probably OK too.

The light after start is an "afterglow", where the computer is reheating the plugs to assure a smoke free start. This too, is normal in colder weather.

Jim P
11-30-2003, 19:06
You can change that 8th one without removing the exhaust. I find it easier to do it from under the truck. You can just see the spade terminal sticking out past the exhaust manifold after you remove the wire. I just use a 3/8 deep well socket and a 1/4 drive ratchet.

turbovair
11-30-2003, 19:47
Ditto what JimP said....

rjschoolcraft
11-30-2003, 20:01
650 cca batteries are a bit small. I have twin 1000 cca batteries in my Suburban. With the side post mod, it really cranks now.

kowsoc
12-02-2003, 05:23
Turbovair, do you even see "afterglow" in Arizona? :D I see it every day up here.

turbovair
12-02-2003, 05:54
Believe it or not,I think my truck is climatized. When the ambients approach 40 F,the truck starts kinda rough and I usually get a couple second afterglow. I too could use a little more glow time here in Arizona on a "cool" morning.I'm not sure my truck would even start up there, and its in good mechanical condition.My brother in law has a 6.5 up in Wisconsin. How he gets it started during minus 15,(even with a block heater) I'll never know.
My truck seems to "prefer" hot weather.Its all its ever known. Below 30, all bets are off.

vandej
12-04-2003, 11:34
I live in wisconsin and have to cycle my glow plugs 5 - 8 times before I ever try to crank the engine over. It usually takes about 6-10 seconds of cranking before it finally starts with smoking for about 5- 10 seconds before it clears. This is without having the engine block heater turned on at all. So, they do work just alittle harder smile.gif

Jason

BoatDriver
12-05-2003, 11:19
Jason,
I live in Mequon. Use 15W40 Fleet Farm oil year round. I have never used the block heater, truck sits outside every night. Turn key to ON, after light goes out, engine starts with slight depression of accelerator. You might want to see how many of your glow plugs are working.
Can the Cheeseheads beat the Bears on Sunday?