PDA

View Full Version : A few 6.2 questions

jrhaines2
11-14-2007, 20:02
I recently bought a 93 Sierra that was replaced with an 82 6.2 engine,so I was told.

If this were a gas engine,I would guess that the fuel filter was plugged by the way it acts.It runs fine when driven very conservatively but when you step into it a little it starts cutting out like a gas engine starving for fuel.

Has anyone ever used the swelled glow plug extractor tool with any luck?

The reason this truck was up for sale is that I has 6 swelled plugs and they will not come out.I tried two of them with no luck at all,at least not good luck.

I welded a washer on the glow plug and then welded a chinese socket onto the washer and while spinning it with a drill I pried with a bar,pulled the threaded end right off the plug.

The next one,I removed the injector and heated the end with a small brazing tip and pried,left the end of the plug in the engine.

After discovering the oil pan is about half a quart shy of what it should be and with the glow plugs,I will be removing the engine to repair these items.

Any expert advice on things to look for while I have it out?

Robyn
11-14-2007, 20:10
Removing the nasty little glow plugs is fairly easy.
Remove the injector and then stuff a singe piece of rag into the precup to prevent and stuff from getting into the cylinder.
Go ahead and break the plug off and get the threaded part out.
Now use a punch and drive the nasty little piece back into the chamber. Fish out the pieces with a magnet or other suitable tools and then move on.

jrhaines2
11-19-2007, 19:41
Sometimes you think so hard to find a solution that you overlook the obvious.

Thanks for sharing that piece of information.

Now if I can get my engine to run as it should.I usually always have some problem that nobody has ever heard of.

boostedHULK
11-25-2007, 17:40
i actually JUST pulled out two in the front of a siezed engine i'm workin' on swapping into our other pick-up after a little build. My dad is pretty well versed in the 6.2's, so he told me to use a small set of vice grips, then use a screwdriver or something else to pry with, to pry it straight back out. I couldn't find the vice-grips, but assume this would work great. What i did do however, was grab some channel-locks, grab parallel with the glow-plug, then i hit the handle close to the mouth of the pliers with a nice hammer, popped both out in a matter of minutes.