PDA

View Full Version : What did my 6.2 come out of?

62K5
11-14-2007, 03:53
Hi, I have an 82 6.2 Blazer that I am currently fixing up, and I was wondering how to tell what the 6.2 that is in it came out of originally. I know the intake is a J-code due to the lack of the EGR, but there are other oddities as well. For instance: it seems unusually strong given that so many people say the 6.2 is pretty weak, the vacuum pump is belt driven, it has the rectangular secondary fuel filter which is mounted on the back of the intake down in the valley etc. Is there some easy way to tell what the motor was removed from? Thanks!

Robyn
11-14-2007, 08:10
There are a couple things you can look at that may shed some light on what the little creature is.

With a little work and maybe a mirror get the numbers off the injector pump tag.

Now with a little work you can get the numbers off the block that are cast in right behind the passenger side (RH for those abroad) cylinder head on the block flange.

I have not seen any 6.2's that had a belt driven vacuum pump. especially in Blazers.
Does this engine have a serpentine belt system. No early body style rigs ever came from the factory with serp drive accessories. The new style trucks got them even on the 6.2 though. 88 to 93

There exists the possibility that someone stuffed a 6.5 N/A engine in there from a much later truck.
This is a bolt in swap and has been done a lot.
All the parts will cross right over.

The IP number will tell us quite a bit as will the block casting number.
If the block number ends in 599 it can be either a late 6.2 or a 6.5
If the number ends in 506 it is definately a 6.5.

These are sort of like looking at the outside of a Rat Motor, very hard to tell if its a 396,427 or 454 or anything in between.

Let us know what you find as it will be interesting to really know what powers your little monster.

HammerWerf
11-14-2007, 09:41
The Van models had the belt driven Vac pump, and the squarish fuel filter bolted on the back of the intake manifold.

HammerWerf

62K5
11-14-2007, 10:44
Whew.. the casting number on the drivers side of the block was easy, but the date code on the passenger side was tough! Additionally, the previous owner stated that a shop had recently replaced the IP, so its numbers may not match up. Here is what I got.

Block Casting: 10237141
Block Date Code: C266
IP: DB2-4894

Thanks!

DmaxMaverick
11-14-2007, 11:14
Whew.. the casting number on the drivers side of the block was easy, but the date code on the passenger side was tough! Additionally, the previous owner stated that a shop had recently replaced the IP, so its numbers may not match up. Here is what I got.

Block Casting: 10237141
Block Date Code: C266
IP: DB2-4894

Thanks!

It's a 6.5. Manufactured March 26, 1996. The "141" blocks are good, the casting right before the first casting of the problematic piston spray blocks.

The IP is a 1990+ 6.2L light duty. Good later pump, and could have been "adjusted" to HD performance level.

62K5
11-14-2007, 13:44
Oh, excellent then. Thank You! So this is a pretty reliable block? I certainly hope so as I am doing a lot of work to this thing.

I bought this Blazer for very little cash as it had a burned up 700R4 which I have experience in building up. So, I rebuilt the 700 and added the Transgo kit with a 10vane and a stack plate cooler, as well as a firewall mounted spin on filter and a temp guage. I have installed 35" BFG allterrains on procomp 6-lug wheels, so at the moment (like literally, and I am taking a break from welding the spring perches) I am installing a 14-bolt SF rear as well as new 4.10's front and rear. I have been using it for towing our quads to Arkansas, and the little 3.08 10-bolt just doesn't cut it. However, I can say even with the 35's and 3.08 out back I can run 70mph all day long with a 12ft trailer and 2 4-wheelers. Well, except on steep grades of course where she can only do so much. I am excited to head back to the Ozarks over Thanksgiving with the 4.10s!!! :D Other additions to my new toy have been new leather seats, new carpet, new style center console, dark tinted windows, nice sound system, 400w power inverter, laptop stand and gps, and I completely replaced the AC system with the exception of the evaporator and condenser both of which I removed and cleaned up. It gets freezing cold in there now! ;)

Anyway, thank you for the help on this, I feel more comfortable knowing it is a "good" block :D. Is there anything I should watch out for on these? I am running Rotella T synthetic oil so I hope that is a good choice as well?

arveetek
11-16-2007, 12:12
I am excited to head back to the Ozarks over Thanksgiving with the 4.10s!!!

Where about in the Oarks? I just recently started 4-wheeling with a Polaris 350L 4x4. I just went to the Chadwick ATV area in the Mark Twain National Forest just a few weeks ago, just south of Springfield, MO.

Casey

62K5
11-16-2007, 13:10
We will be staying in Clarksville this time. Usually we stay in Ozark, but there is absolutely nothing to do there and Clarksville is closer to the trails and to Russellville which actually has places to eat and such. We will probably ride the big loop at Mt Magazine (Huckleberry I believe it is called) to see the foliage as well as possibly Moccasin Gap. Last time we did pretty much all of Mill Creek which was pretty good. There is another trail called Sugar Creek which is about half way between Ozark and Mena which we haven't done yet but I'd probably stay in Mena for that one. We are trying to hit several in the area after doing Wolf Pen Gap about 10 times and getting pretty tired of it, though it is a great trail if one has never been there. Also, Fourche Mtn is just north of Y city which is just north of Mena, but it doesn't seem well kept and last time we went there I was afraid to leave the track and trailer as I was the only one there on a weekend and would make an easy target. Shame I have to drive to AR anytime I want any decent riding, but Texas is just a bummer as far as places to ride. Most everything is private and pretty expensive to ride/stay, or it is private and cheap and not well maintained at all. I love Arkansas and if I could get the wife away from the family here in Dallas, I'd move to the Rogers/Bentonville area as there are supposedly plenty of IT jobs with good pay and housing is cheap and crime is low. I haven't been up into MO yet as I would need a little more time coming from Dallas. How is Chadwick, and is it free?

arveetek
11-16-2007, 15:16
How is Chadwick, and is it free?

I really enjoyed Chadwick. (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/marktwain/recreation/sites/chadwick/) You have to buy either a daily ($5) or yearly ($35) permit. It has around 80 miles of ATV trails over 12 square miles. Most of the trails are just wide enough for a 4-wheeler, and you're limited to vehicles no wider than 50". Really cool trails though. They are divided into easy, moderate, and difficult. The moderate trails are my favorite. The difficult trails make me too uneasy! I'm not that skilled yet.

I've heard of Huckleberry but haven't been there yet.

I'm only an hour away from Bentonville. NW Arkansas is really booming and is becoming one of the larger metropolitan areas in my neck of the woods.

I'm trying to find someone to go riding with next weekend after Thanksgiving. My best friend that I usually go riding with just sold his 4-wheeler in hopes of getting a bigger one, but probably won't buy one for a while.

Casey