PDA

View Full Version : air in fuel

onebadasstahoe
11-12-2007, 18:19
after searching this site i found lots of info but didt really seem to answer my questions.....

ive got an 85 chevy 1/2 it has a 6.5 non turbo in it, i bought it from a guy who when he had it the crank broke on the 6.2

after looking at alll the different posts and trying things ive not seemd to figure it out

it acts like it looses it prime, i did put a clear tube on the ip return line ran it for a while to get full of diesel and cam back 2 hrs l8tr and checked....it had bled down....then i seen a bubble come out of the ip..... on the passanger side of the ip is that rocker arm and that piece that sticks out is damp....i pushed on the rocker with a screw driver and then a ton of air bubbles in a steady flow came out.....could that o ring there be where my air is getting in and causeing the long crank time for it to start?

should the ip return line always have fuel in it up to the bend point, or is it normal for that line to bleed down

is there anything else that i could be missing

thanks for all the informative info on this site, it has helped me to rule out a ton of questions and get right to the point

Robyn
11-12-2007, 20:01
There are probably several issues going on here.
The fule system needs to be checked from stem to stern to make sure that it is free of leaks.
The mechanical fuel pump has a check valve in it that can go south and if the IP is leaking a little the system will bleed back to the tank.
I would say that if the advance piston is leaking air that its time to get the IP rebuilt.
These wear out and the least of your worries is the air leak.

The fact that you found this is a good thing but I would be getting the IP fixed and then make sure the rest of the system is sound.
Hope this helps

Robyn