PDA

View Full Version : Best glow plugs

Vaughn MacKenzie
11-09-2007, 11:31
Haven't really posted here for a couple years but I recall there was a quality glow plug recommended that was less likely to swell or break the tip off, but I don't recall what brand or part number. Couldn't find anything searching the forum. Anyone know what I'm talking about and where to get them?

Vaughn

trbankii
11-09-2007, 15:14
I think the two top ones are the 60G and the Kennedy Quick Heats - I have the Quick Heats in my '93 6.5.

Vaughn MacKenzie
11-09-2007, 19:41
That's right, Kennedy Quick Heats was what I was trying to think of. Now where to buy them. . . didn't find much googling.

DmaxMaverick
11-09-2007, 20:15
That's right, Kennedy Quick Heats was what I was trying to think of. Now where to buy them. . . didn't find much googling.

For Kennedy Quick Heats try www.kennedydiesel.com. If you find them anywhere else, they're probably counterfeit. Afterall, they're his plugs, and sold through his website. There are other "quick heat" plugs, but I've seen the origin and quality vary from OK to no good. I too have a set of Kennedy's on the '95, and they've been working well for nearly 3 years now.

bleucrew6.2
11-10-2007, 07:40
I just replaced the plugs in my 6.2 two months ago. I went with the AC 60G plug, and am satisfyied with it. Although I've read nightmare stories about removing the old plugs, mine came out quite easily (some of them were missing their tips though). I used Permatex anti-sieze on the new ones to ensure that I won't have any problems in the future. Incidentally, the old plugs were the dreaded problematic AC 9Gs.

DmaxMaverick
11-10-2007, 10:31
Although using anti-seize on the threads is a good idea, the threads are rarely the problem. The problem is the plug tips swelling or breaking off, which anti-seize won't help. This problem is normally unique to the 9G's, but can happen with any of them. The AC60G plugs are good, but require a longer glow cycle for heat comparative to 9/11 G's or QH's. No real big deal in warm to moderate climates, but may require some timer adjustment for colder areas.

ccatlett1984
11-10-2007, 21:55
Since this will prolly be a highly searched thread, I'll add this

If you have a military cucv, and the electrical system has not been converted to straight 12volt. Get the Wellman 070 glow plugs, you can get them the cheapest on ebay. The ac60g's will not work in the cucv, due to the voltages that the glow plugs are exposed to.

The glow plugs are feed 24v through the large dropping resistors on the firewall, at initial turn on the gp's get 18volts, then as the resistors heat up the voltage drops to ~12volts. the in-rush voltage will burn up "civilian" gp's very quickly.

for any further help with your cucv, please visit us at
www.steelsoldiers.com

Vaughn MacKenzie
11-21-2007, 13:44
Got the new plugs from Kennedy Diesel, thanks guys.