PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L TD died, won't turn over?

beh612
11-07-2007, 20:52
First off let me thank everyone for so much valuable information. This is my first post although I believe I have come close to reading nearly every other thread on the site to gain as much info as possible.

I have a 1995 K3500 6.5L TD. It has 220,000 miles on it with it's second engine, the first being replaced under warranty at 98,000. I have run into what seems to be a major problem. The engine shut down on me the last time I drove it and doesn't turn over using the starter. I have pulled the serpentine belt and attempted to turn it over by putting a socket on the crank pulley with no luck. Anyone have other suggestions before I drop the oil pan to see if I find the problem?

If a replacement engine is necessary I'm considering going with www.dieselfixer.com (Tom Sanders). He sells a .040" over 6.2L block with 6.5L heads, a 6.35L he said. Anyone have experience with him?

I already have a reman. gas 427 Medium Duty truck engine setting in my garage in a crate that was intended for a different project and I don't think I would like to convert this truck to gas because of the hassle of making things work properly. So I'm considering selling that 427 to recoupe some of the cost of the reman. 6.35L. Any suggestions on this?

This is my first attempt at doing any major work on this truck and I really appreciate any info shared. Thanks Again, Brandon

bigeasy
11-07-2007, 21:47
Did you check the battery voltage.

beh612
11-07-2007, 22:17
Yes, did attempt to jump start from another truck and also charged batteries overnight to verify there was enough power.
Dash guage showed enough voltage.

beh612
11-08-2007, 10:03
I was under the assumption that I could turn the engine over like a gas engine using a socket on the crank pulley. Is this correct?
I also just realized that maybe I should have put this thread under the 6.5L forum instead of this Tech forum.

DmaxMaverick
11-08-2007, 10:13
I was under the assumption that I could turn the engine over like a gas engine using a socket on the crank pulley. Is this correct?
I also just realized that maybe I should have put this thread under the 6.5L forum instead of this Tech forum.

You should be able to turn the crank by the balancer bolt. If you can't move it at all, or only a partial turn, something mechanical is broken or out of place. If a cylinder is hydrolocked, you should be able to turn it in one direction, usually backwards. Pulling the glow plugs will confirm whether or not it is hydrolocked. With the plugs out, the engine should turn easily, by hand or with the starter.

beh612
11-08-2007, 10:19
Ok, I'll pull the glow plugs and give it a try.
What would cause a hydro lock?
Is it possible for it to hydro lock while running down the road, causing it to shut down?
(Just read some posts on hydrolocking, guess this is caused by a blown head gasket or cracked head allowing coolant into the cylinder)
I'll be pulling the glow plugs today to see if it'll rotate, and also checking to see if the radiator looks unusually low.
Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks

beh612
11-08-2007, 13:40
Are there any special tools that I would need if it comes down to me needing to replace my 6.5L TD?

DmaxMaverick
11-08-2007, 15:20
Hydrolocking an engine while running usually results in an abrupt stop and parts flying (inside and/or out). Excessive fuel can cause a hydrolock, but not at all likely if it was running at the time. Head gasket, cracked head, or cracked cylinder is the cause if it's coolant. Once you pull the plugs, you'll know if it is or not. If it is, you'll need to pull that head and you might get lucky with just a gasket.

No special tools required. No more than you'd need for any other engine R/R, except heavier lift and stand. The GM Diesels are very heavy, compared to gassers.