PDA

View Full Version : Engine identification

FEF
11-07-2007, 19:28
All,

I'm going to look at a Blazer tomorrow. He says it's got a 'goodwrench' engine in it, with 30,000 miles.

Is there a way to know the year it was cast, by looking at the serial numbers? If so, where would it be?

Thanks.

Robyn
11-08-2007, 07:49
There are no serial numbers as such on any of these engines.
Tha casting number is on the right rear of the engine just behind the RH head on the block flange.
Also there is a date code on the RH side rear of the engine too.

These numbers can be hard to see with the engine in the truck but with some work they can be viewed.

The valve covers should have a sticker that says "Goodwrench" on it but this is no gaurantee the engine is anything such as the seller is advertising.

With only 30K on the clock the engine should be fairly clean on the outside and the oil filler tube should be clean inside.
The engine should have little to no blowby out the oil filler when idleing.

If the sucker is real skanky looking on the outside and the other indicators are pointing towards a lot more miles thenyou just have to judge the little beast by what you can see.

An engine with 30K should start up real quick when cold and run very well.

Good luck

Robyn

FEF
11-08-2007, 15:26
It's tough, you know... I've been looking for a doner vehicle/engine for a few weeks now. Everyone says it's a new or rebuilt engine, but I just can't believe they are by the uglyness of them. Some don't even start right away.

I think you've got the right idea, though. I've run into two more rigs, with about 150,000 miles, I'm going to look at. I think I'm looking for something that looks like it's been taken care of, fires up fast, and has little to no blowby when cold. That may be the best I can do with any used engine.

Any other sage words of advice?