PDA

View Full Version : Keyless entry woes

Shikaroka
11-07-2007, 09:34
I have the factory keyless entry system on my 96 Suburban.
I didn't get any key fobs when I got the truck, but I bought a couple later. I programmed them and they have worked great for over a year.

Recently they started working intermittenly. I replaced the batteries, but that didn't help.

What's odd is the way they work. Sometimes when I walk up to the truck, the unlock button will unlock the driver's door, but won't do the others after a second press. Most of the time, I can't get it to unlock any doors, no matter how many times I press it. And, the hatch won't pop, as it requires two presses. It seems as though, it will only work once, every now and then. Does that make sense?

Anyone else had problems with their keyless entry system?
Is there a control box for this? If so, where is it?

allformike
11-22-2007, 21:15
Don't Know If You Got This Fixed, But I Know It Can Be Expensive, But I Have A Solution.
I Used To Install Remote Starters And Keyless Entry At An Audio Store. It Would Be Easier For You To Get Keyless Entry Done By A Best Buy, Or Similar Store That Installers Them. I Would Also Suggest That If They Do Keyless Entry For You, Buy A System With Remote Start, Despite All The Bad Things You Could Have Heard About Them, Some May Be True, But If You Do Get A Remote Starter And Keyless Entry Sysyem, Take My Advice And Get A viper System, You Could Probly Get A Basic One For About $150, Plus The Price Of The Bypass They Will Need To Use To Go With The Chip In Your Key. Hope This Helps.

Robyn
11-23-2007, 07:45
If you only had one fob I would say that its probably the fob thats bad.
I have had these systems on a couple burbs and the DaHooooley has it.

Personally if it is to the point that the finger points at the receiver rather than the fob I would do it the old fashioned way with a key and not worry about the gizmo.

I had one used Burb that had an aftermarket setup that had been installed by "who Knows" and one day the rig refused to start.

I did not even know the rig had a keyless system and an anti theft setup.
Took me the better part of a day to sort out the mess and figure out, first off that the rig had been molested and second how to get rid of it and wire it back stock so the truck would run again. :eek:

If you can get a good job, thats done by someone who knows what they are doing and does a good job then its probably fine, but if its done by a quicky sound shop that has less than experienced techs doing the work, I would pass.

What might be a very inexpensive option is to snoop around the bone yards and scare up a receiver unit off another rig and swap into yours. ( you will need that rigs Vin # to get proper programing me thinks)

I am not sure exactly where the litle monster is hidden but its a good bet that its under the dash where its cant easily be molested by thieves.

The remote system is fairly simple in that it has a RF reciever that controls a set of relays which activate the door lock solenoids.

Now you may be able to locate the little creature easier if you park the rig in a nice quiet spot with the engine off and the from inside the rig mess with the fob until the unit works, possibly hearing the click of the relay.
Unfortunatey the door solenoids probably will over power and noise made by the relays.

Other than that a schematic or unit location diagram will be needed to figure out where the receiver and relay unit is located.

One thing though, be sure that the fobs are not the issue before ripping into the truck.
It would be sad to find out after many hours of screwing around that the fobs are bad.

My fob for DaHooooley will work sometimes and other times I have to swat it to make it work.
I just tossed it in the key bowl on my dresser and use the key.

Good luck and let us know.

If you do search out the relay, make a post on the chassis forum about where it was and such and I will make it sticky so others can have that info easily available.

Robyn

Shikaroka
11-23-2007, 08:47
Thanks guys (generic term)!

I have a remote start kit, with keyless entry, laying here that I just need to take the time to install. They are not that bad, and my truck doesn't have a factory or alarm or chip in the key, so I don't need a bypass kit.

But, after all this, I think it may have been a bad fob.
My wife told me hers was not working either, so I assumed it was the same problem as mine. But, I allocated hers and put in new batteries, and now it works!

I would still like to know where the "box" is though, so I may poke around.

allformike
11-23-2007, 08:54
definatly agree that you should have EVRYTHING done by a profesional, but i think i speak for everyone when i say, WHAT'S THE FUN IN THAT, PLUS, WHO WANT'S SOME STRANGER TOUCHING YUR BABY.

Shikaroka
11-23-2007, 10:06
well.... I am a professional.

redbird2
11-24-2007, 08:02
If its in the same place as my 98 it is mounted above the accelerator pedal on a bracket toward the center of the truck small black box 2x3? been awhile since looked at one hope this helps