PDA

View Full Version : Range shift inhibited

gmc05
11-06-2007, 14:58
I have an 05' GMC 2500 HD (stock). I bought the truck brand new and have never had a problem until now. The truck is having trouble shifting into drive and reverse. When the truck is placed into reverse the display reads "range shift inhibited". Then when placed into drive it has trouble moving. It will eventually move after moving the selector from R to D a couple of times. I took the truck in because it is still under warranty. The first trip to GM revealed that the truck was possibly in 4 low and that the 4 low would eventually shut off. ha ha ha. The second trip to GM revealed that the battery had a bad cell and that this would inhibit the transmission from working properly. They replaced the battery. ha ha ha On the way home from the second trip my wife stopped and it did the same thing. The truck was immediately returned to GM. As of now, in my opinion they have no idea what is wrong with my truck. While I was posting this GM called and said that they were replacing the selector swith and the transmission output shaft bearing. GM stated that the transfer case was misreading what the switch was saying. can anyone relate?

Inspector
11-06-2007, 20:17
Tell them to replace the ignition switch,.... I had the same thing on my 03 and they screwed around until they they found that the voltage to the TMC was low. Search for my post. I believe it is under "shift range inhibit"
Denny

Inspector
11-06-2007, 20:30
Ok I just did a search on "shift range inhibit" All the info you should need is there. Since the ignition switch was changed a couple of years ago now, no problems.
Denny

tufcj
11-07-2007, 13:54
If the little bar on the PRND321 display in the dash goes away, there is a switch on the shift linkage that goes bad. There is a TSB on it, my 2003 was replaced under warranty.

Bob
tufcj

jsmiracle
02-03-2010, 11:20
Inspector,

Did the ignition switch replacement seem to be the fix? Have you had the problem since?

I've experienced symptoms very similar to your above description. I've called a couple of the area dealers and I suspect their confidence is low on what the problem is. My truck is out of warranty and I don't want a astronaumical bill.

Thanks,
Jim M.