PDA

View Full Version : Backed the timing down a little more

JeepSJ
11-05-2007, 15:55
I had a feeling that I was still way advanced, so I backed off about another 1/8".

Much less rattle now. Actually kinda quiet on the freeway. Picked up about 1psi of boost at cruise (now about 2-3psi at 65). Boost seems to react a little quicker, but nothing significant and max is still 10-11 psi. Engine seems to react to the throttle a little quicker. EGTs rise more quickly under load, but peaks seem to be about the same and cruise EGT is about the same as before. Still started good this morning when cold (even with NO cold advance circuit). Took a little longer (maybe 5 sec vs 3 sec) to start when warm. Still not bad for a single battery.

I'm going to drive it for a few hundred miles and see how I like it, then maybe I'll tighten up the wastegate a little more.

I would still like to see more boost at low RPM. Seems that it doesn't want to start generating boost until I get the revs up. 65mph is about 1800 rpm. I get about 2-3psi cruising, and if I put it under load I can get maybe 4 but it really doesn't start to boost until I get it up to 2100-2200 rpm.

DA BIG ONE
11-06-2007, 03:25
After reviewing the install instructions I've decided to bump mine back too between -1.7 to -1.9, thinking the 2 extra degrees of the gear set plays a role in the settings.

I've lost mpg on highway after gear drive and new ip.................thinking timing here is problem.

Gears up to 96 can go to -1.94
97 and up is -1.7 to -1.9

JohnC
11-08-2007, 16:20
The wastegate probably isn't limiting boost at lower RPM's. You just gotta get more fuel burning.

More than a couple of PSI under light load is a waste anyhow.