PDA

View Full Version : Add Gaskets Where No Gaskets Were Used Originally

burnoil
11-04-2007, 00:36
I tore down a bunch of my 6.2L today and found that the internals are in great shape. Woo-hoo!! Anyways, my question is about gaskets being offered where no gaskets were used originally. Gasket manufacturers are offering gaskets like valve cover gaskets, timing cover and plate gaskets etc. Everything on this motor looks original and the GM service manuals say to use anaerobic on this and RTV on that. Being that everything looks good, should I go with the recommended sealants or use the gaskets offered by the aftermarket??

DmaxMaverick
11-04-2007, 00:47
Unless you plan to tear it down again soon or are fond of leaks, use the gaskets. Else, use sealer. Do it right the first time and you won't spot your driveway.

Robyn
11-04-2007, 08:12
I used the gaskets on my 6.5 rebuild all the way.
I do however suggest the black gooooooop on the Valve covers and be careful and wash all the surfaces with a product like brake clean before you apply the RTV goop.

The timing area and the plate are good places for gaskets and the pan sets seem to work well too. The VC though can give issue with the gaskets. (Been there done that)

Gaskets work the best with a little High temp RTV smeared on both sides to make a good seal. Be careful with the cork pan set and dont get wild with the torque on the bolts.

Some pan sets are two piece with the front and the sides being one and the back being a separate neoprene piece and then some sets are 4 pieces with the front, sides and back all separate.

Best

Robyn