PDA

View Full Version : Fel Pro Thick Head Gaskets??

burnoil
11-01-2007, 22:08
Has anyone run the Fel Pro 9128PT head gaskets?? They are listed as .010 thicker than standard gaskets for use when the block has been machined. My block has not been machined, but I am adding a turbo to my 6.2l and .010 would equal right about a one point loss in compression ratio. I am thinking this is a win-win, but would like to hear opinions on the matter.

ccatlett1984
11-02-2007, 20:41
I'd love to hear if anyone has run these as well.

Robyn
11-03-2007, 06:31
I have used the felpro +.010 gaskets in a 6.5 but I had it decked first.
The only issue with using it on an undecked block might be valve adjustment. There should be plenty of travel in the lifters to allow for the .010" extra BUTTTTTTT there always exists the possibility they wont depending on the individual engines tollerances.

The lifters usually run in the middle of the travel range under normal circumstances so it should be fine.

I would recommend a fresh set of lifters though that have not worn in to a spacific location.
Changing lifters once the engine is assembled and in the rig is a nasty and time consuming proposition.

Its doable but you dont want to do it that way.

The +.010 should give you just about the drop in comp ratio that you are thinking about for adding some serious boost.

Now there is one other thing, the pistons on the 6.2 are not anodized for heat rejection so be careful about boosting the little creature to the moon.

The 6.2 pistons can and will melt if you get too hungry with your lust for power. :D

Good luck and keep us posted as this sounds like a good possibility.

Robyn "AKA Missy Good Wench"

Slim shady
11-03-2007, 11:06
I am using Felpro +.010 head gaskets on a newer 6.2 +.040 rebuild and have not had any issues, no lifter noises or problems. Lifters are designed to take up some (key word) dimensional differences in the valve train, I don't think +.010 will be an issue.