PDA

View Full Version : Turbo spool

Kenneth
11-01-2007, 13:24
I recently installed a jerry jardine 4" exhaust and am happy with the sound tone at the pipe. I noticed yesterday when i drove it the first time that I can hear the turbo spool in the engine compartment. The reason why I am concerned is becuase I had some problems getting the downpipe to fit on my turbo. I finally found out the flange on the downpipe was about 1/4"- 3/8" larger than old downpipe. So, I carefully ground down the excess and used a fine toothed flat file to smooth out the surface area as well as the edges. After this, the downpipe installed in 5 min. I assembled the rest of the system and watched the downpipe/turbo flanges for a tight seal. It looked to me like once I got the whole system on that there was a very, very small gap towards the front of the flange (like the bottom of the downpipe was hitting the frame so it couldn't tighten up anymore). So, I loosened the hangers and romoved the v-clamp and had someone help me lift up on the bottom of the downpipe while I installed the v-clamp. It appeared to be a good seal. I tightened everything up and took some soapy water to spray the exhaust pipe where they were supposed to seal checking for leaks. I sprayed the turbo/downpipe flange and no bubbles formed but because I heard the turbo spool so loud from the engine comp. I got a little worried there was still a leak.

I also noticed that the bottom of the downpipe very slightly touches the frame. You can almost see light between the frame and downpipe. I wasn't to worried because it looked like the flange had sealed tight, but now I am not so sure.

Before I go on with the truck's whole history, I just wanted to know if its normal to hear the turbo spool from the engine compartment.

P.S. i am also going to keep an eye on the flange for soot to see if there is a leak.

Kenneth
11-01-2007, 13:26
Just another bit of info. I still am using the stock air box, not a cold air intake.
Thanks for all the great help.

Robyn
11-01-2007, 14:05
This is all very normal.
My 95 howls too and the air box and filter are bone stock.
All the unneeded back pressure is gone now so the whizz wheel can spin.

Good luck and enjoy

Robyn:D

Kenneth
11-01-2007, 14:59
Thanks. I was just worried I might still have a leak at the flange. It's good to know that's normal.

befland
11-01-2007, 15:20
Kenneth,
I am putting a different turbo on my old 83 (Banks). The one I'm installing has a flange connection between the downpipe and the exhaust housing (my old one bolted to the downpipe). My question is, is there any kind of doughnut or gasket between your downpipe and turbo...or is it just flange to flange with a v-clamp. The reason I ask is because my v-clamp will tighten around the turbo but the downpipe is still loose.

Bill

Kenneth
11-01-2007, 17:32
Mine is just a flange to flange with a v-clamp.

The one I'm installing has a flange connection between the downpipe and the exhaust housing

What do you mean flange connection between the downpipe and exhaust housing? Do you mean it uses a donut between the downpipe flange and the turbo flange?

If your downpipe is loose measure the thickness and diameter of the downpipe flange and compare that to your turbo flange. Then compare that to your v-clamp. You may just need a donut. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jochen Woern
11-01-2007, 21:21
I myself just installed a 4" inch Jerry Jardine Pinnacle Power Exhaust System. There is definitely NO doughnut or any other seal between the flanges of the turbo and the downpipe. It is just flange to flange with a v-clamp.

Hope this helps.