PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak at Brake Master Cylinder?? 2500HD

siggy
10-26-2007, 14:38
Hoping that someone can help me out with some more good advice. Just noticed a new drip/leak on the truck. Worried, was half expecting to have transfer case issues, but once I popped the hood and looked around it seems the fluid is coming from under the iron section that I assume is the brake master, but the fluid does not smell like brake fluid, seems to be oil? There are a couple metal lines running in and out that are warm to the touch, so I'm guessing oil is being routed through for some reason? What is this item? Is this a typical leak to develop? Is it easily replaced as a unit or is there a seal? Any help appreciated.

thanks,

Siggy

DmaxMaverick
10-26-2007, 15:02
That's probably power steering fluid leaking from the hydroboost unit (hydraulic brake booster). Clean it up and locate the leak origin. If it's leaking enough to drip, either a line is loose/damaged, or it may need replacement. There isn't much of any repair option for the hydroboost.

CrashTestDummy
10-29-2007, 10:46
I had a leak between the booster and the mc on our '02 2500. GMC dealer replaced it under warranty. Wished they'd just given me the booster, though, they sure made a mess replacing the bad one.

Gene Beaird,
02 2500HD D/A
Pearland, Texas