PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L Clutch recomendations

DieselCrawler
10-26-2007, 14:20
Hey all...
I'm gettin' ready to put the motor and transmission together for a K-30 dump truck project I've been working on for a while... it will have a stock 6.2L with a turbo, low key, not built up, and the 4sp trans. I wasn't sure what clutch to go with, the parts store said they could get me a regular one, or what they called 'ceramic button' clutch... seems to be a step up, they say it grabs better... but what do they know about diesels?
So, my trusted friends, what to get... regular stock replacement, or this ceramic button deal? Flywheel is freshly turned... ready for a clutch disk!

Thanks in advance...
Greg

DmaxMaverick
10-26-2007, 14:54
For heavy duty use (like in a dump truck), ceramic is the way to go. For a daily driver and/or moderate towing, organic is fine. Ceramic will let you slip a lot more w/o burning it up, but it does grab a lot more aggressively.

93GMCSierra
10-26-2007, 15:14
very aggressive, my brother has a 99 dodge 1 ton with 5 spd his clutch went out and he was away from home so had a shop replace it, that one went out within a month and he was upset he decided to go ceramic as it is supposed to last alot better, that thing now chatters alittle when you try to ease the clutch out slow but it grabs an goes alot better, with towing it is nicer that is for sure.

DieselCrawler
11-06-2007, 12:08
Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll be getting the ceramic button clutch as soon as I find the cash... Advance Auto Parts wanted about $140 for the set... disk, Pres plate, thro-out berring, alignment tool...

DmaxMaverick
11-06-2007, 16:13
Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll be getting the ceramic button clutch as soon as I find the cash... Advance Auto Parts wanted about $140 for the set... disk, Pres plate, thro-out berring, alignment tool...

That price doesn't seem right. Either they have the wrong application (like a 1975 cvcc), or it isn't what they say it is. It should be twice that, at least. If it's correct, they'll be sold out overnight as soon as word gets out.

MEP
11-07-2007, 18:22
Check out South Bend Clutch's website. www.southbendclutch.com . They were very helpfull when I had dual mass flywheel problems on my D-max.