PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new turbo

stacker
10-22-2007, 19:34
What do you think? On my run this weekend towing a 28ft fifer my truck started out running pretty strong but by the time i got 200 mile she had lost most of her lower rpm boost and smokin black smoke pretty good, good enough to soot up my camper. I've got hardly any boost until about 2000 then its only about 8psi . usually i can get between 12 and 14 when wound up. ordered a new turbo after check my shaft play and notice a liitle oil leaking out of turbo and inside intake. Does anyone know if the rebuilt turbo that comes with the wastegate controller from ssdiesel has the performance controller or not withit.

93 ck3500 airaid,3 to 3.5 5spd manual 1/6 turned up ip, fan upgrade, quages.waste gate controler. 254k on truck 40k on block

Mark Rinker
10-22-2007, 19:48
Are you getting a GM-8? Lots of cheap used units about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-6-5-Diesel-Turbo-Turbocharger-GM-8-GMC-Chev_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ006QQite mZ160169967478QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

93GMCSierra
10-22-2007, 20:28
also check that canister on the passenger side valve cover, CDR, I think its called if it is not working it might be sending oil into the turbo intake.

Kenneth
10-23-2007, 12:46
I replaced my cdr about 3 months ago and I am still getting oil through the cdr intake tube and its going into the air filter tube right in front of the turbo and some is getting into the turbo. I also have a slight oil leak on the rubber hose connection for the turbo and aluminum intake. Its not dripping but is wet, mostly greasy, with oil.

Could the cdr already be bad or do I have excessive engine blowby? I have opened the oil filler cap and I can't see any smoke or air movement of any kind. My oil pressure is always 40-45 psi at normal op temp.

More Power
10-23-2007, 13:45
Crankcase gases contain a mix of many compounds, including oil vapors. It's perfectly normal for an oily film to coat the inside of the turbo compressor, intake manifold and interconnecting hoses. Some of this accumulation can slowly seep out at the various turbo hose fittings over time. Make sure the clamps are tight, clean the engine once or twice a year, and try not to worry about it - it's normal. :)

Jim

stacker
11-01-2007, 18:26
Well I had to change the turbo guys , While I had it apart we put a new 4in exhaust and turbo master. She Runs great, real strong and sounds great.. Really hear the Turbo Spool up and 12lbs of boost no problem.