PDA

View Full Version : 1997 6.5L No Start

otello
12-20-2004, 08:19
Been having trouble off and on for some time with starting. If truck starts and runs 20min. It will run all day and start all day. If it won't start will sometimes start in 3 or 4 hrs. after it sits. Had it to 2 diferent chevrolet dealers and left it over nite, started every time, neither found any codes set and didn't have a clue what problem was. Have replaced filters and uplift fuel pump. The truck finally will not start. Also cracked the injector to see if fuel was getting to cylinder. It was dry no sign of fuel with injector loose and cranking for several seconds as in trouble shooting recommendation. Glow plugs seem to cycle on and off. My question is how do I test the fuel stop relay that allows fuel to the injection pump. Read the trouble shooting section and it only mentioned how you check to see relay works in 6.2 up to 1993. Appreciate any help or advice on this issue. 1997 Chevrolet 6.5TD C3500

More Power
12-20-2004, 13:15
The 1996 and newer 6.5 fuel lift pump should run for approx 20 seconds when first rotating the ignition key from off to run (like when waiting for the glow plugs to cycle). You should be able to hear it. If you can't hear it run, test for power at the lift pump electrical connector. The PCM (computer) controls the lift pump relay during the key rotation start cycle.

You may also want to look through the series of tests outlined in the STALLING (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm) tech page.

MP

sturgeon-phish
12-22-2004, 16:29
How do I check for power, with a VOM?, and what should I see?
Thanks
Jim

rjwest
12-23-2004, 11:40
There is an un plugged connector in the harness , under hood, left side close to hood hinge.(driver side)

Jumpering it to + 12 volts operates the lift pump.
( Ign Off )

Check for Plus 12V at lift pump.
Using both wires for the voltmeter.
( checks Voltage and ground.

Disconnect jumper. Turn on Ign, Should read +12 volts ( momentarily ). Start Engine
should read 12 volts continuesly...

If No voltage when key is on but Voltage is OK after eNG start, Relay is bad and OPS is turning on lift pump.