PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pump questions

HillBilly2
10-20-2007, 01:10
I'm going to replace the rear main seal in a week or so. Should I replace the oil pump while I have the pan off?

Is there a high volume pump available and if so where? I have a Banks turbo and bypass oil filters in the future and thought more flow might be usefull.

If not what about shimming the bypass to up the pressure a little. Good or bad idea?

Thanks!

Robyn
10-20-2007, 05:59
Howdy

If you engine is in otherwise good condition and the oil pressure hot is about 20 at idle and 40 running at Rpm's above 1500 I would leave the pump alone.
The stock application is plenty of pump for the 6.2/6.5
The journals in these engines are large and therfore have a large surface area to support the loads applied.
The need for higher pressure is simply not there.

A 6.2 with 40 PSI running is a happy little creature and will live a very long and useful life.

Higher pressure and more volume can actually create issues with excess oil throwoff from the rotating assembly and in some cases cause more oil consumption.

The late 6.5 engines with the oil spray blocks use a higher volume pump to allow for the extra oil that is being sprayed into the piston dome areas.

I beileve one of these pumps could be used but I would not do it.

Your 6.2 should have a 2 piece rear main seal, unless it is a very late engine. (91 on used a single piece)

Use the newer neoprene rear main in favor of the old rope type seals that originally came with the engine.
Once the old seal is out be sure the groove in the block and main cap are clean and then install the new composite seal and be sure to use a tiny bit of sealer (High Tack) on the split line right at the seal area to prevent any oil from leaking past this area.

Good luck and hope this answers your questions

Best
Robyn