PDA

View Full Version : This young lad needs some advice

Shaun091382
11-30-2003, 07:34
Hello i need some advice on my 6.5TD i have a '93 6.5TD with mechanical injection it currently has 334,000km and nothing has been touched mechanically except for a rebuilt tranny i have the opportunity to purchase new glow plugs and high flow injectors for a reasonable price..i know someday i will need to rebuild possibly but i currently dont have that kind of money right now..i only drive my truck here and there with no loads or towing. I am finding that my injector pump is probably wearing out as it is very hard to start my truck in warm temperatures and i dont know what condition my turbo is in i guess it is ok..my question is is it feasible to have the turbo inspected, the injector pump rebuilt and install new injectors and glow plugs or should i just save my money and have everything rebuilt and done at one time? any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated thanks,

Shaun

patrick m.
11-30-2003, 09:10
the IP on your truck wont cost that much to get either a new one, or your rebuilt.
I would go ahead and do it now, even if you have to re-build the eng next year, all of your new goodies will fit right in.

catmandoo
11-30-2003, 09:18
i was quoted 850.00 for a rebuild as they put in the new style head and rotor assy which they say is 700.00 of it.supposed to cure hot start problems,which i don't have i just have a wierd and inconsistant surge which i think is related to the govornor

Turbine Doc
11-30-2003, 12:06
Shaun, if I did my conversion right 334,000/1.6= 208,750 mi if you have original injectors, I'd start with them 1st with new glows, then IP. I had a revelation this weekend following my injector replacement that leads me to this conclusion/recommendation, I'll be posting those findings maybe this evening on a new thread here in the 6.5 forum.

Bobbie Martin
11-30-2003, 18:14
Just a thought, you may find a late model 5088 DB2 pump on ebay for not too much. I was able to get one there for around $100 or so. It would have the head & rotor you need. You could have it rebuilt to 4911 specs and do the pump swap in one day. Then you could sell your 4911 pump and recoup most if not all of the 5088 pump.