PDA

View Full Version : do heath performance chip/turbo master cut down on engine life?

asabadin
12-19-2004, 21:36
I am debating doing these mods i would love the power gains but do not want to risk cutting my engine/turbo life in half. what is the concenious here? does these products reduce engine turbo trans life? i have heard from some diesel mechanics that these products cut down on the engine life significantly. what are the opinions here? after doing my research everyone recommends the heath chip. bottom line, i want to know if these 2 mods will reduce my engine life at all. thanks guys.

rjschoolcraft
12-20-2004, 05:36
Not everyone...

I have a Heath 2.0 chip for my 95 Suburban that I leave in the glove box... because the Kennedy TDMax chip that I leave in my PCM makes more power. I'm working to schedule another trip to the dynamometer for documented evidence. While the Heath chip is significantly better than stock, I was actually disappointed in it. I had been looking forward to trying it. Since everyone is so positive about it here, I thought I might be missing something...

As for engine life...

My modifications have reduced the likelihood of heat related engine faliure. EGT is significantly lower. Engine life expectancy is better now than when stock. I have 222,000+ miles on the Suburban, with over 52,000 since the intercooler and chip...probably half that is towing.

[ 12-20-2004, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: ronniejoe ]

eracers999
12-20-2004, 06:48
Ronnie;

Are you running the big chip or the mid ??

Im running the mid and have been playing with the boost signal (middle green wire on the boost sensor) am currently pulling about 19.5 boost til about 2900. Then the chip cuts it back, used to cut back to 10 to 11 psi now it's about 14.

Im using a 22k resistor in that circut. I like how you are consistantly at around 18 on the boost.

Kent

rjschoolcraft
12-20-2004, 07:30
I'm running Kennedy's top chip. By itself, boost while towing is about 13-14 psi. With the boost control on the Baro sensor, its 18 psi.

I should point out that running solo, I rarely see over 14 psi.

Have you changed your configuration? I thought you had plumbed the vacuum pump straight to the wastgate actuator.

eracers999
12-20-2004, 07:51
Ron;

Yea i hooked it back up to the boost solonoid so i could play around with trimming the boost back.
It seems that every mod that i do to this truck it keeps making more and more boost psi. Easily go 22 to 24psi.
So that being said i felt there should be some sort of ceiling or maximum for the boost.
What would be the differences from what im doing versus the baro sensor like you have done?

Thanks/Kent

asabadin
12-20-2004, 08:10
so getting back to my question what would you gents reccomend?

rjschoolcraft
12-20-2004, 08:44
As I stated, the modifications will enhance engine life.

Anything that increases boost will lower egt...especially if you couple that with an intercooler.

computer monkey
12-20-2004, 13:33
Ronnie which version of the Heath chip do you have?

rjschoolcraft
12-20-2004, 14:06
Originally posted by computer monkey:
Ronnie which version of the Heath chip do you have?
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
I have a Heath 2.0 chip...