PDA

View Full Version : 12V Power for Gauges?

gvt
12-19-2004, 18:51
Where to I find power to the instrument panel? I thought one of the fuses by the drivers door would be for the instrument panel, but with the lights on I can pull each of them and the dash lights do not go out. Am I missing something? Thanks

Bobbie Martin
12-19-2004, 19:04
Try the radio or in that area. There should be a wire there that would work.

ucdavis
12-20-2004, 16:27
The main fuse block has strips of 3 female (IIRC) connector slots that are fused alike. One of them is key-on-fuse-powered, and you can find it wyour voltmeter. Find all the ones powered w/the key off (i.e. hot always) & eliminate them. Of the others, several are hot-w/key-on.
I tapped into the wire off the dimmer switch, so gauge lights would dim also.

rjschoolcraft
12-20-2004, 16:30
In this article (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/torqloc.htm), I identified a good place to get switched power for such uses.

gvt
12-20-2004, 18:53
Thanks for the help guys. I guess I should have explained more clearly. I thought there was a source at the fuse box by the door that would allow guage lights to dim with the dash lights. It sounds like my best bet would be to tap into a wire coming out of the light switch? Thanks again!

rjschoolcraft
12-20-2004, 19:12
Sorry, I misunderstood. There is a fuse over there that I tapped to get dimmed gage lights. I'll have to check which one and get back to you.

Bobbie Martin
12-21-2004, 02:53
Originally posted by gvt:
that would allow guage lights to dim with the dash lights. The radio loom has a wire for this. You can use a scotchlock connector for the wire. Its real easy to get the radio out.

rjwest
12-21-2004, 04:33
If I rember, There is a fuse that is " dimmed" voltage. Use a " add a fuse ", piggy back.

nice clean install.

HowieE
12-21-2004, 13:03
The instrument light dimmer fuse is fuse # 14. The wire that feeds all the dimmable lights on the panel is gray. You can pick up this circuit at the input side of any dimmable light or if you pull the small vertical panel just to the right of the instruments
you will find 1 or 2 unused connectors there and the
gray wire will appear at those connectors because these connectors are for options that have light at the panel.

gvt
12-21-2004, 18:17
I'll go hunting for those gray wires. Thanks again for all the replies!