PDA

View Full Version : What gear should i use ???

stacker
10-14-2007, 19:34
Need a little advise on my 93 3500 dually see just won't pull in od. Is that normal i"m pulling a 28ft 5th wheel about 9000lbs in fourth around 2400 rpms and 64 mph; is that good or normal? when i shift to od she falls on her face.
Thanks

justy330
10-14-2007, 20:05
When I tow I never use overdrive. To hard on the transmission. The only way you could tow in overdrive is a small load. Or have a really good transmission cooler. I have a small transmission cooler so It does no good to tow anything in overdrive unless it's a small boat trailer.

JeepSJ
10-14-2007, 23:04
Yeah, I think that is a little heavy for 4th gear also. Probably fine on flat open highway, but not for any type of hills. If you have not done so already, install the biggest aftermarket trans cooler you can find.

What gear do you have in it now? 2400 rpm should be about right. Are you sure pump/injectors/turbo are OK? How is the EGT when towing?

DA BIG ONE
10-14-2007, 23:24
I'd suggest the TransGo HD shift kit for your tranny too.

A plate cooler like the factory tranny cooler is best would go 2x size have now, or B&M SuperCooler w/fan & 160 deg on/off stat control.

trbankii
10-15-2007, 07:20
DaBigOne: Based on his other post, looks like he has a manual transmission.

Stacker: Might want to put your vehicle details in your signature line so that people can refer to them when answering questions.

stacker
10-15-2007, 15:07
Sorry guys iv'e got a 5spd manual. and was wondering if anyone pulls in 5th like a 9k 5th wheel. first run with her only could use 4 not 5th. turned up the pump and reset timing today see how see does.

waste gate controller
air aid intake
3 to 3.5 exhaust
guages egt and boost

RT
10-18-2007, 20:38
Most of the time I pull between 3K and 7K depending on how the trailer is loaded. Probably averages 5K. It will pull that fine on the flat in 5th but any real grade requires a downshift. The max I have pulled is 12.5K and that was an experience. OTOH, it will pull 3.5K all day in any gear. I am not surprised that you cannot pull 9K in 5th. You really need an intercooler if you plan on pulling that load regularly. I would say turn up the pump, intercooler, HD cooling mods if your truck doesn't have them and then run the truck right at 1200*F on the EGT's max. Drive as hard as you feel the need as long as you don't exceed that figure. RT

stacker
08-31-2008, 20:32
Well after all the problem with mechanics and bad luck. I pulled the heads off the junk yard engine that i put in after the other grenaded. Well it wasn't has hard as I thought and didn't take to long about 16 hours of steady wrenching. The hardest part was the weight of the heads. If the last mech had done what i ask there wouldn't have been anymore problems. I suggested putting the new heads on the new junk yard motor before installing just to be safe, Since i had them and they had new injectors and all.
So as i can see I have to do the mech work myself in the further. The heads i pulled off had two cracks at the valves on one and one crack and signs of swoping holes between 5and7.Runs great now with all the aggrevation. Everything and upgrade have been install except a girdle. I have a 599 block think it might have been a 6.2 since it had small precups. But anyway Thanks for your support. And wish me luck I did everything by the BOOK so i shouldn't have anymore problems for a while.
Thanks Stacker

6.5 Detroit Diesel
09-01-2008, 21:02
I have the 5 speed, (NV4500) and have towed up to around 10K in o/d with no problems. Obviously when I hit the hills I have to drop a gear but on the flat it will build up to and hold speed just fine.