PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Pattern on a 6.2L block

6.2L86M1008
10-11-2007, 14:55
Does the 6.2L diesel block have a unique bolt pattern in regaurds to its transmissions? Or can any GMC or Chevy V8 small or big block setup bolt up to it? I have a 86 M1008 that I'm content with the TH400 for now, but it stands to be the only automatic I own. Someday if I could find a parts/donor truck I would like to get all the parts to do a manual tranny swap. But I need to know if I can look for any manual truck which would make life alot easier or does it have to be a diesel which are far and few in between by me anyway. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Robyn
10-11-2007, 16:54
Same same as any GM SB or bb

TH350, 400, 700R, 4L80 or ????

Robyn

6.2L86M1008
10-12-2007, 06:08
so any small block bell housing and 4spd manual combo would bolt up to the 6.2L? Do I need a special/6.2L specific flywheel? Also how hard would it be to put a 700R4/NP208 from the 88 fullsize jimmy I have into my 86 5/4ton? is there alot of drivsehaft modification? or is it a basic bolt in swap? would I have to change the torque converter to a non lockout type? I'm gonna scrap the jimmy but I was planing on taking the tranfercase out, but if I could utilize the overdrive tranny for a few years until I come across a 4spd manul setup I'm sure the truck would be alot happier on the highway. Also if I can't find a orignal 4WD manual tranny truck, can a 2WD manual transmission be bolted up to a transfer case? Is it a big ordeal? do you need to buy alot of other parts to make it work? I think it would be alot more likely for me to find an old 2WD 3/4spd truck in my area than a 4WD one. SO if thats an option that too would make my life easier.

JeepSJ
10-13-2007, 11:51
so any small block bell housing and 4spd manual combo would bolt up to the 6.2L? Do I need a special/6.2L specific flywheel? Also how hard would it be to put a 700R4/NP208 from the 88 fullsize jimmy I have into my 86 5/4ton? is there alot of drivsehaft modification? or is it a basic bolt in swap? would I have to change the torque converter to a non lockout type? I'm gonna scrap the jimmy but I was planing on taking the tranfercase out, but if I could utilize the overdrive tranny for a few years until I come across a 4spd manul setup I'm sure the truck would be alot happier on the highway. Also if I can't find a orignal 4WD manual tranny truck, can a 2WD manual transmission be bolted up to a transfer case? Is it a big ordeal? do you need to buy alot of other parts to make it work? I think it would be alot more likely for me to find an old 2WD 3/4spd truck in my area than a 4WD one. SO if thats an option that too would make my life easier.

You will need a diesel specific flexplate or flywheel. If you go with the auto, you will also need the diesel torque converter. The 700R4 will bolt up, but you will need to swap springs in the governor to mod the shift points (IIRC, that can be down from the outside of the trans). You can get a lockup converter for the diesel (that is what I have). You will need to modify the driveshafts for just about ANY transmission swap.

wthif
10-13-2007, 12:57
You will need to modify the driveshafts for just about ANY transmission swap.

I went from a TH400 to a 700r4 with out modifing my driveshafts. Just needed a different tranfercase.