PDA

View Full Version : Laptop OBD II Readers

GMC Hauler
12-18-2004, 09:03
Can anyone advise on a laptop OBD II code reader system. I am in the market now. The Tech II is not in my price range. The reader must be able to read specitaity items we need to see, such as desired and actual injection pump timing, TDC offset, ect. If there is a model out there that can command the computer to perform such tests and procedures such as command time, that would be great, but I wont hold my breath for that feature. Anyone have any experience with such systems, and where did you purchase it from?

Thanks.

Roger

rjwest
12-18-2004, 11:36
http://www.obd-2.com/

It's about 125 us program is downloaded from internet. Updates free....

Lots of data, Hard to use, no documentation.

Should be some updates for graphs etc.
Call for more info.

It does not do TDC offset,,,,

GMC Hauler
12-18-2004, 20:22
has anyone seen this tool?

Auto Enginuity (http://www.autoenginuity.com/)

rjwest
12-19-2004, 07:38
Getting a OBD2 reader to work is not the problem...

The problem is : ARE GM 6.5L specific codes supported in software. You must ask that question.

Most generic readers ( cheap ones ) only support
Std OBD2 codes. IE common to Gas engines, and not model specific. I bought the Carcode program
Originally it did not support the 6.5l, Updates released ;last Aug, I now get tons of data, but still do not know if all codes, sensor data is available.
This appears to be a problem , common to many Code reader programs.

Before purchasing, I would call and be very specific on what you expect from the vendor.

Hope this helps..

I am in Jacksonville Fl. If anyone would like to
see the carcode in operation, I would try to Demo
the software....

Post here:::

rkadair
12-19-2004, 12:52
what about auto tap ?

http://www.autotap.com/products_trucks.html

rjwest
12-19-2004, 14:02
Someone on the forum had an autotap....

I believr it did Diesel codes. May want to
Pose question as a topic....

whatnot
12-19-2004, 21:25
Originally posted by GMC Hauler:
has anyone seen this tool?

Auto Enginuity (http://www.autoenginuity.com/) Here is what they wrote back to me:

Will it work on 6.5 diesels? (1996-2000)

>> 1999 and newer with the GM enhanced 96-98 are not OBDII complaint.

How much extra is it for the GM enhanced option?

>> 99.95 USD

rjwest
12-21-2004, 04:37
I ain't selling Carcode,

But ALL data available for GM comes with package.
and updates " Free ".

Give them a call, Nice guy but Hard to talk to.

Make a list of questions, before calling....

slagona
12-21-2004, 07:56
Autotap does correctly read TDC offset and other diesel specific values. I have heard that carcode now reads TDC offset also - but have not verified that.

I have owned both products - before they were able to correctly read Diesel Specific values. I waited around 6 months for Autotap to fix the TDC offset - and finally gave up - they were very friendly and refunded my total purchase.

I had carcode for several months also. Kept waiting for the new release for GM Diesels - finally gave up on that also. Again, great customer service and full refund.

Autotap has a very good, very friendly user interface. Carcode is much more difficult to use - but for the price difference may be worth it for some people. If I knew carcode worked for sure, I personally would go that route as I just wanted it to read TDC offset - didn't really need the better interface.

Your mileage may very.

rjwest
12-21-2004, 12:41
I see a TDC expexted and a TDC actual in the
carcode data, do not find TDC offset, Will check again and ask " Carcode "..

HowieE
12-21-2004, 13:07
Carcode supports drive train and transmission data on GM 6.5 trucks.

Turbine Doc
12-22-2004, 10:46
Originally posted by rjwest:
I see a TDC expexted and a TDC actual in the
carcode data, do not find TDC offset, Will check again and ask " Carcode ".. You mean timing desired & timing actual, TDC is a different value & normally only one reading of what it actually is set at.

rjwest
12-22-2004, 13:27
correct. tdc desired, tdc actual..........

Have not found the tdc offset parameter in Carcode.
Yet, still looking....