PDA

View Full Version : Hi-pops or # 9 resistor which is better?

DA BIG ONE
10-08-2007, 02:24
After reading much on hi-pops I find that the premature failure and the extra wear put on cam ring in DS-4 IP is just not worth the minor performance advantage at upper level rpms.

I would like input pro/con on the use of a higher value resister like the #9 and performance gains over the entire rpm range as opposed to using hi-pops and the potential risk of cam ring damage.

My DS-4 IP recently went south w/mechanical cam ring failure which I think was manifested by the hi-pops!

DmaxMaverick
10-08-2007, 12:31
Neither is better or worse. They are completely different animals with different purposes and effects.

A higher value resistor rarely offers any noticeable improvement. Most of the time, no noticeable difference at all. The few that do notice a difference usually get just more smoke, and have other issues to deal with. If your area inspects emissions, changing the resistor may prevent you from passing the inspection.

Hi pop injectors do pop at a higher pressure (that's why they're called "hi pops"). The pressure has to be generated by the IP. The cam ring will see a higher stress rate to make the higher pressure. How much? I don't know. It may make as much or little difference as just about any other mod you do to the engine, or not. Claiming the injectors cause premature pump failure is a handy answer, while the failure may have been caused by many other known issues. If you have a pump with updated military/marine internal hard parts, it should be a non issue. If you don't, you put the pump at risk every time you drive it, regardless of your mods. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

DA BIG ONE
10-08-2007, 16:33
Neither is better or worse. They are completely different animals with different purposes and effects.

A higher value resistor rarely offers any noticeable improvement. Most of the time, no noticeable difference at all. The few that do notice a difference usually get just more smoke, and have other issues to deal with. If your area inspects emissions, changing the resistor may prevent you from passing the inspection.

Hi pop injectors do pop at a higher pressure (that's why they're called "hi pops"). The pressure has to be generated by the IP. The cam ring will see a higher stress rate to make the higher pressure. How much? I don't know. It may make as much or little difference as just about any other mod you do to the engine, or not. Claiming the injectors cause premature pump failure is a handy answer, while the failure may have been caused by many other known issues. If you have a pump with updated military/marine internal hard parts, it should be a non issue. If you don't, you put the pump at risk every time you drive it, regardless of your mods. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Where can updated military/marine internal hard parts be had?

DmaxMaverick
10-08-2007, 21:56
Where can updated military/marine internal hard parts be had?

Many Stanadyne shops can, and do. Ask them. Try contacting TDP Advertisers for their options. JK lists one. Peninsularengine.com is another source (their website leaves a little to be desired, so call/email them).

More Power
10-09-2007, 10:45
My DS-4 IP recently went south w/mechanical cam ring failure which I think was manifested by the hi-pops!

Under ordinary circumstances, the cam ring, ceramic rollers and pumping plungers are among the more reliable and durable mechanical components used in the DS, and have run for for up to 400,000 miles (that I know of) without failure.

Jim

DA BIG ONE
10-10-2007, 04:28
Under ordinary circumstances, the cam ring, ceramic rollers and pumping plungers are among the more reliable and durable mechanical components used in the DS, and have run for for up to 400,000 miles (that I know of) without failure.

Jim

Hello Jim, I would like to know what else can mechanically damage the DS cam ring?
Is information on the DS cam ring being stressed by hi-pops accurate, or? Thinking going back to stock injectors.