PDA

View Full Version : 83 gmc 6.2 suburban troubles, please help!

thomas.kandler
10-04-2007, 07:30
this truck sat around for a little while...i went to jump in it and go...it started up, and stalled imedietly, i tried bleeding the lines at the injectors, i replaced the fuel filter, and i tried starting it on ether/ pb blaster, it does not want to start, i can hear only one or two cylinders trying to fire and thats it. what else can i do, any other tricks??? Please help. Thanks:confused:

Subzilla
10-04-2007, 10:10
Sounds like there is still lots of air in the lines. Keep bleeding them at the injectors and trying to start it. It can take some engine stumbling before all the air is purged. Make sure you don't over do the starter by giving some cool down time between 30 second cranks. When you replaced the fuel filters, did you refill them to the brim with fresh fuel and not leave any room for air? Also, on the '83 model, there is another filter under the air cleaner at the back of the intake. Are the glow plugs working? Do you hear them cycling off and on?

thomas.kandler
10-04-2007, 12:55
thanks for the reply, i belive the glow plugs are working, they are faily new and i can hear the relay clicking. that other filter under the air cleaner...is that a screw on cartrige type also?? Yes i did refill the new filter to the brim. Any ideas on why i cant even get it to kick with some ether/ pb blaster? I know to much ether is not good for these things but i am surprized i couldnt get it to kick with some of that....Oh by the way my truck also has a 4" lift on it with 33"MT's.

thanks again

Subzilla
10-04-2007, 13:48
Yes, the other one is a smaller version spin-on cartridge. It's a little more challenging to change but I've got the routine down pat. Remove the air cleaner, disconnect the 2 metal fuel lines, remove 2 bolts holding the filter mount to the intake. Remove the filter attached to the mount. Replace filter, reinstall inreverse order.

I've never tried ether and I'm not sure that wouldn't the beast to at least cough a little. When you bleed injectors, loosen the lines of at least 4 injectors, then crank till you see fuel weeping out of the lines. Close off, then try cranking. Temporarily disconnect the GP relay to keep her from firing up while you bleed the lines.

Love the old Burbs with a lift and big tires. Actually love most trucks with a lift and big tires but there ain't many of us around. Makes for a unique beast.

Oh by the way, invest in the R&R guide from this page and the troubleshooting guide. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!! Actually, there is the on-line troubleshooting guide in the member's area. Check it out for "No Start" situation. Let us know if you still don't have any luck.

dieselbegreat
10-04-2007, 22:21
Yeah, be careful not to overheat the starter. They get hot real fast. I would try plugging in the block heater for a couple hours before trying to start it again.

thomas.kandler
10-09-2007, 13:34
Any thoughts on if it could be my electric engine shutdown solenoid ontop of my injection pump? Thanks