PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Pop Injectors/stock motor(high-mile)

C.K. Piquup
12-16-2004, 06:20
I have fresh Hi-pops in a blown motor,just sittin`there.My`92GMC has 240,000miles on it and needs injectors,pump also.I know in stock application they would not be a benefit.But,are there any adverse effects of such an installation.Don`t want to hi-performance at this point w/o an overhaul.I do have a Banks dowmpipe/exhaust,K&N filter,and Banks in-fender scoop in place of snorkle.

Turbine Doc
12-16-2004, 07:11
I'd say use them, from my experience they probably will be more bottom end rattle than you are used to, try it if you don't like them swap back to stock.

More Power
12-17-2004, 19:41
If these "hi-pop" injectors were originally intended for an electronic 6.5, you "may" have some issues....

The 4-roller DS4 electronic pump generates a higher fuel injection pressure. Your DB2 2-roller pump could work, but may not generate as high a pressure, and "could" result in harder starts and lower power.

A well-worn DB2 may not generate sufficient pop pressure at cranking speed (especially while hot) to allow normal starting. Generally, one of the first symptoms of a worn DB2 is hard to start hot problems (has trouble popping the injectors). The hot thin fuel leaks past the twin plungers too easily at cranking speed (~200 rpm).

However, it might be worth a try... Then you can report back...

MP

C.K. Piquup
12-18-2004, 04:46
Thanks MorePower,are you saying this could be the case even w/rebuilt or new DB2?They are from my`95 motor that I replaced with the Peninsular motor.

More Power
12-18-2004, 11:37
Thanks MorePower,are you saying this could be the case even w/rebuilt or new DB2?They are from my`95 motor that I replaced with the Peninsular motor. You may not know what the actual results will be till you try the injectors with your DB2. However, I'd not have a high level of confidence for a good match (pump & injectors). If they don't work out for you, you could have them re-shimmed for a lower pop pressure perhaps better matching the pop pressure requirements of a DB2-4911.

Peninsular sells a DB4 (4-plunger mechanical fuel injection pump) that they use with their 340-400 horsepower marine 6.5's. These pumps would likely be a better match for the injectors you have.

My recommendation has always been to install an injection pump and injectors calibrated to work with one another. This takes a lot of the guesswork out the equation. The DP's 6.5 Project used a matched set of marine DB2 pump and Bosch injectors from Peninsular calibrated for 300-hp.

However, I would like to see a more thorough dyno test run on a 6.5, where just the injectors are swapped (comparing new factory spec to new hi-pop).

In spite of what I might think, please don't let this interfere with your experiments. At this point, I think you may as well run what you've got, then see what develops.

MP

C.K. Piquup
12-18-2004, 19:03
How about this.Would it be a bad move to go ahead and use a hi-performance pump on this higher mile engine?Isn`t it mostly a question of driving habits?As long as I don`t get carried away with the added power.